Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road
Default 205

Hiya all,
Hope all courses are going well!!

Im hitting abit of a brick wall at the moment! and im really struggling to get my words onto paper

If anyone could help i would much appreciate it!

Why do you think it is important to change the environment regularly, such as the home corner?

K2D64
Why is building a child's confidence, self-esteem and flexibilty important?

K2D69
Why do you think children need secruity and reassurance to feel confident? Give an example

K2D75
Why is it important to provide a routine, which is familiar, to children?

205.1.7, K2H65 & K2H3
What health and safety regulations are in place regarding heating, lighting, temperatures and ventilation?

Many thanks
Charlotte

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Please if anyone has any pointers i would really appreciate it!

Many thanks
Charlotte
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte1001 View Post

Many thanks
Charlotte
Hi,
Sorry, I saw so many questions and think I haven't got time to answer all those.
I may come on and go off and help a bit at a time.

The health and safety - you need to look through your policies and procedures to see what your setting does - we'll all have different things and methods.

When do you decide to put the heating on? a set time say 1st November or do you ensure the place is warm enough for the children and are happy to put it on if cold in September?

Same with ventilation - what do you do if it gets stuffy? - do you open a window, decide to go for a walk/play outside whilst the room gets down to a bearable temperature. etc.
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Many thanks
Charlotte
K2D25 providing familar routines.

Although children should be given free choice ( as well as some directed) a familar routine is needed for adults as well as children.
We all like routine even if some of us like change - when we choose to!

Children are learning (everything) and routine (and boundaries) help them to fit into their surroundings (their environment/world). A routine helps them to become familiar to the setting, when they first start at your setting they may be overwhelmed - they know no one and nothing that is going on.

Soon they learn their routine and it settles them - they go over to their keyworker, they may register (however your setting chooses) or they may have a story read.
After that they whizz off and choose their play, activities etc, then they may all come together for snack time, outdoor playtime, circle time, story time then home time or whatever you do.

This routine is also building their confidence up and will help them to venture out/explore more, go onto to take risks. make friends etc. They know where they fit in/belong and their self-esteem/confidence is growing and helping them to progress.

A routine also helps them learn the concept of time - they know after dinner, they play a while, have a bath, put their pyjamas on and go to bed because it is night time and that they get up in the morning (or are at least learning). The rountine in between will help them to learn that the day is broken up - more eating, more play etc. As they get older, they will soon see that the routine is sometimes changed and they don't mind, they may say why are we going out now? ..and a practitioner may say, 'It's going to be very very hot today, so we are not going out when the sun it at it's hotest as we don't want to get burnt...'

A routine always helps a new child when you tell them they will be collected after we have had a group story/dance........ etc
A routine reassures them.

64 & 69
I was just thinking you could cross reference the above for settling a child into pre-school and also how to build a child's confidence up - because what happens if you don't - they are unhappy and may cry etc
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Many thanks
Charlotte

Why change the environment i.e. home corner etc.

One reason would be the same as us - they'd get bored and wouldn't visit it anymore. They may still need to develop those skills - but they are sick of the ironing board, pegging out clothes etc.

So by ensuring that their learning environment is changed i.e now a post office, it is now inviting again (we all like new things - or usually). They are now playing a different 'game' but still perfecting their skills and learning new ones. They are licking stamps and sticking them onto envelopes, stamping and weighing parcels, putting on a uniform ( instead of an overall/apron) posting their letters and parcels ( instead of laundry into the washing machine etc.

Say you never changed the home corner, a child (if they continued to visit the area) had learnt as much as they were able to with what you were providing - that child would/may not be progressing as they should. They were never 'stretched' and they didn't bother to 'push' themselves. The practitoner had not observed, recorded and monitored that child's learning to cater and encourage them in their next steps.

By changing the learning activity you are inviting a child to explore, be curious, eager to discover, learn and progress and of course you'd remember to plan the environment to take their interests into consideration.
Unread 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Thank you so much this is brilliant!! just what i was looking for.
I can really struggle sometimes if i have alot to do in the time my assessor comes next, as i feel it takes me along time to write the answers together, i know the answers but my english is really bad so i struggle to tie everything together into a structured answer.
Thank you once again, its people like you and this website that really help!

Charlotte
Unread 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much this is brilliant!! just what i was looking for.
I can really struggle sometimes if i have alot to do in the time my assessor comes next, as i feel it takes me along time to write the answers together, i know the answers but my english is really bad so i struggle to tie everything together into a structured answer.
Thank you once again, its people like you and this website that really help!

Charlotte
You are welcome

I'll give you a tip - anything more than 2 or 3 questions and I go into thinking it's like homework for me!
Break it up in difference postings and I think you'll have more luck.

I bet others think as I do. as I noticed it was lingering right down at the bottom with no answers and I felt guilty because I didn't help you earlier.
Unread 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for the tip! i'll try that next time.

Awah bless, you are one thoughtful person!

Many thanks
Charlotte

Im really feeling the pressure at the moment because my assessor keeps telling me im behind due to a couple of previous visits being cancelled (on both halfs) i really dont think im as bad as she says but im still feeling it!
Ive completed Assignment 003 and 002 of the Tech Certificate and will soon be starting Assignment 001. Ive also completed Oral and Written questions 201,202,203,204 and im currently working on 205. Ive done 2 observations but have managed to cover alot in those 2, ive completly covered unit 204! I finish my course in March. Do you know how im doing on a timescale basis? its really worrying me as i would like to go on to NVQ 3 but with struggling abit with Level 2 and the time scale, im not feeling too confident about it and im feeling like i wouldnt be able to do it.

Thank you!!!!!
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the tip! i'll try that next time.

Awah bless, you are one thoughtful person!

Many thanks
Charlotte

Im really feeling the pressure at the moment because my assessor keeps telling me im behind due to a couple of previous visits being cancelled (on both halfs) i really dont think im as bad as she says but im still feeling it!
Ive completed Assignment 003 and 002 of the Tech Certificate and will soon be starting Assignment 001. Ive also completed Oral and Written questions 201,202,203,204 and im currently working on 205. Ive done 2 observations but have managed to cover alot in those 2, ive completly covered unit 204! I finish my course in March. Do you know how im doing on a timescale basis? its really worrying me as i would like to go on to NVQ 3 but with struggling abit with Level 2 and the time scale, im not feeling too confident about it and im feeling like i wouldnt be able to do it.

Thank you!!!!!
I employ a small number of staff (about 7 with relief) and I never pressurise them with a timescale when they are undertaking NVQ courses.

Personally, I'd rather they did them at a pace that they felt they were really understanding things and also able to retain the information to become better practitioners - this will be gained over time with everything that they will come across in the coming years/different issues etc

I wouldn't worry or hurry ( unless you are, and it doesn't sound as you are - exceptionally slow). If you feel under undue pressure, hopefully your manager (ask them to) will speak to the assessor. I did this for a couple of my practitioners who weren't so confident. I had faith in them and knew if the assessors undestood how the candidate was feeling, they would bear this in mind as she worked with them.

I'm sorry I have no idea what any of the levels/unit numbers - I helped staff but they just asked questions. I did a diploma in the 'olden' PPA days, then a degree, eyp + hundreds of ongoing training etc: so I have no idea whereabouts you are, but it's not a competition, but there will always be deadlines/nerves, worries and doubts over what you've written -at any level!
So try not to worry and think of it helping you in the future - one day, you may be the manager and it'll be your turn to run the show and help others.
Unread 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM

Thank you so much for the great advice!

Charlotte