Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nikic22 is on a distinguished road
Default Planning

Help me please........... How can a child care practitioner contribute to planning??

I know in my head what to write but struggling to write it on paper.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road

I know wht u mean, i need the answer for this too. If i do find out the answer i will defo tell u :) x
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikic22 View Post
Help me please........... How can a child care practitioner contribute to planning??

I know in my head what to write but struggling to write it on paper.

Do you attend planning meetings where you contribute ideas?
- if not bring it up at a staff meeting.

What about your 'key' children - from your observations, do you not plan their next steps?

Do you go on training courses to help you with understanding and implementing planning?

Do you share information with other practitioners and parent/carers for you to plan for a child?

..hope this helps you to start thinking of other ways.
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks Heidi, your info hads really helped me nd i have now finished that piece x
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Heidi

I have only been on my placement for 3 weeks and not been to any planning meetings. I have not been assigned any "key" children this is why i'm struggling with this. I have not been allowed to do any observations either.
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:45 AM

Hey niki, i dnt have any key children either so ure not alone :) x
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:46 AM

How come u haven't u been allowed to do observations ? I don't have any key children but I am allowed to do observations which i give to the childrens key worker x
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:48 AM

I have written a letter to the parents asking for their permission to do observations on their children and because i only go into school on weds there is not enough time as i have to hand in my assignment tuesday coming.

Should i just make it up?
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Unread 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Ok ok, well why don't explain to your tutor/ assesor Im sure she will understand and at the end of the day its not your fault x
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikic22 View Post
I have written a letter to the parents asking for their permission to do observations on their children and because i only go into school on weds there is not enough time as i have to hand in my assignment tuesday coming.

Should i just make it up?
Any ideas would be much appreciated!

I am a manager and I don't give placement students key children - that is not in their remit. I would not want students who are not an employee to be placed in a position where they have key children, plan their next steps, deal with parents etc. I would however help and encourage them to see how this system operates and how practitoners coordinate their work.

I presumed (wrongly) that you were an employee of your setting. I include all my staff in staff and planning meetings. I have extra meetings with my Deputy Manager and Senco, and after we have thrashed things out for other issues i.e. business or SEN side, will then meet with other staff so they are included and know what is going on, but I have not included students.

I have not had students studying NVQ's who have not worked for me, those that have - obviously being part of the team have access to everything ( well nearly!).

I do place in my policies and procedures that I have students on placement and would appreciate that parents allow them to carry out work required to gain experience. I send a letter out if and when a student spends time with us.

If a student needs to do any observations, I speak to the parents (myself, & introduce the student) and make sure they are happy for these to be carried out.

Students carrying out written observations will use something such as child 'a' or 'b' rather than names.
The students may ask for drawings or artwork to analyse - with the child's and parents permission, but they do not take photographs or video observation. I have not had a parent/carer ever object.

I (personally) can not see the harm in written observations without names.
If the manager of the organisation is not allowing you to do this, surely you can roughly remember what you observed, what was said, what interaction you saw etc. and write it down quickly once you get home omiting names.

Have a word with the manager, if they are willing to use your 'labour' without paying, you too must be rewarded , whilst they ensure their policies and procedures are still maintained.

You mentioned you are at a school, so it may be very different, but talking and explaining to someone there may help you.