Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road
Default Guns!

Everyone is going to think I've lost the plot. What is the latest thinking about playing gun related games? For the last 25 years I have discouraged children (boys) making guns from construction toys or anything else they could lay their hands on, now after all the tennis bats being used, and getting broken, I'm having a rethink.
Should I buy some open ended resources that can be used for the games/role play, buy some toy guns or just carry on explaining why we don't play with guns and frustrating the children and their play?
I'm sure I read somewhere that this form of play is now ok.
I would of course, if you don't all shout me down, ask for parent opinion.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

I don't allow gun toys or things to be played with as guns in my setting though i do understand where you're coming from. I'm in an Infant school so we explain to the children that we don't have guns because in real life it's not safe to play with them because they hurt people and 'touch wood there doesn't seem to have been too much of a problem.
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:23 AM

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

if your in an out of school setting you should be following the playwork principles.............if the children what to play guns they should be allowed as play should be "freely chosen, personally directed and intrinsically motivated. That is children and young people determine and control the content and intent of their play"
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM

akel1111 is on a distinguished road

Look at the book 'We don't play with guns here' Penny Holland.
Also the government has just issued guidance that states that weapon play is beneficial . especially to boys. The guidance, called Confident, Capable and Creative: Supporting Boys' Achievements, is issued by the Department for Children, Schools and Families.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0ivZu0ZmA
Unread 03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road

I just knew I'd read it somewhere,I'll follow my instincts and buy some open ended resources. Thanks for the info.
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:00 AM

akel1111 is on a distinguished road

I have just handed in an assignment on weapon play as part of my BA hons. Would you like to read it? If so I will send it to you privately.
Cheers
Ann