Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

kirkycharlie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
i wish it did but in your case did you cover child development on your h an sc course? prob not, so why jump? i have interviewed people who have never worked in the field but think cos they have a degree in marketing they re too clever for a 2. what the hell has marketing got to do with childcare. i feel we are creating a whole generation of inadequately trained staff who are meeting the nvq criteria just about which isnt good enough. esp those on train to gain type courses with no teaching. we will reap this and the children will suffer.
i did my nvq l2 as a train to gain type course and passed with flying courses i am now doing my level 3 as a train to gain as well.
i personally think that been in a work place where you are training and also doing the work everyday is far better way to learn then beening stuck in a classroom/ leachures as you learn more by doing then by reading

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

sorry but couldn't disagree more. you learn what you think you need to know and what you have access to . the whole point if having a lecturer tutor is she is an expert in the field and knows a lot more about "good practice" theories etc than you or your boss will. you know how YOUR setting works and it will have, however good many not so good practices, even if it is outstanding. in college the greatest asset is learning off other practitioners. people who think they have nothing to learn off others are often the worst practitioners. The students we get who have done T to g are often lacking in the most basic knowledge. for example they know little about theorists are rarely know much more about observation other than the method their setting uses. the best students have attended a class and learnt off others. with t to g you learn what you see which is always good practice it is however easier and a lot cheaper which is why settings like it.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

kirkycharlie is on a distinguished road

for someone like who finds sitting exams hard and doesnt always seem to get good grades and also beenng in a lecture where some is talking doesnt really stay in the mind, i was in a school for my t to g l2 and was in a wide range of classrooms, and had assisments, obs etc to do just like beeing at uni but beening paid to do it.
when friends i know who have been at uni and didnt do a t to g apply for jobs they dnt seem to get them and the answer they always get back is not enough EXPERIEANCE even tho they have a great knowladge.

yes i do agree tht it is cheaper but i dont see the need to start a career with a load of debt from going to uni especially in the way the country is at the min