Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

sobia is on a distinguished road
Help SOS unit 201 effective communication when interacting with other professionals

hi everyone can some one help me please
how to show effective communication when interacting with other professionals
also why is it important to develop positive relationships with other adults

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

sarahlou is on a distinguished road
General question

Hi,
I think we might be doing the same questions, i am on this at the moment:

What is effective communication with children and what skills would you model?
What is the difference between communicating with children and adults? What difficulities might you experience with both of these and how would you overcome these?

I am abit stuck as well!

Sarahlou
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:43 AM

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Consider language you use during the day, everyday, both verbally (spoken) and non verbally (body language)

Difficulties ... younger children just starting to talk/understand. Impairments - hearing, sight - Languauge barriers etc

If you have come across any of the above write up a reflective account or diary log saying what you did/ why you did it that way/ any changes you would make if carring this out again.

If you have not carried out the above say what you would do.

Why important to develop positive relationships - harmony / understanding of others / shared practice / role model?

Some pointers to put you in the right direction
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sazzle is on a distinguished road

"Good practice, values and ethical requirements when liaising with other professionals
Good communication skills between all parties involved
Respect one another and listen to views, even if they are different to yours.
Share information between yourselves, but remember the importance of confidentiality- only share what is relevant.
Work as a team, we all want to create a positive outcome for the child.
Everybody should be treated as an equally important member of the team. Everybody's views and opinions count.
Value the experiences of others, maybe somebody has been in a similar situation before.
Support one another, some situations can be distressing and knowing that somebody else is there beside you can be a big help.

There may be times when others come to me with challenges that they are facing that exceed the limits of my own expertise. If this were to happen, I would talk to the staff member concerned to find out as much as possible about their problem/challenge, and ask their permission to seek advice on their behalf before contacting the relevant agency or organisation, such as training providers or other professionals.

It is important for those involved with children (parents/carers, nursery nurses, other professionals) to share knowledge and experience as they may be able to apply previous experience to a new situation.
Where there may be difficulties at home, if a parent does not share this with the staff who care for their child, they will not be prepared for any unusual behaviour (such as the child seeming withdrawn or clingy, or attention seeking behaviour). Staff should share with each other strategies that they have found useful in improving the behaviour of individual children, so that they can be used consistently. If it is thought that a child may need extra support, then this should be shared with the SENCO, and outside agencies, so that the child is properly assessed and the right provision can be put in place. Failure to do so will result in the child not receiving the best possible care.
Many training courses will draw from the experience of the trainers themselves, books and articles can be found which draw from the experience of others, and opportunities for staff within the setting to discuss and share their experiences should be provided through formal and informal meetings- all helping individuals to broaden their own knowledge and understanding when working with children."
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:07 PM

"If when working with another agency I found myself to be in a difficult situation, I would inform my line manger to ask advice. I would give her evidence of any correspondence and explain what my difficulty was. This would also make sure she was aware should the situation escalate and result in a complaint being made about me. I would also try to resolve the situation by meeting with the agency involved, either with colleagues present or a neutral third party.

If a complaint from another agency was made about a member of staff at (my nursery), the complainant would be first referred to the Nursery Supervisor. If they did not receive a satisfactory answer, then they should feel free to approach the Proprietor. The nursery undertakes to respond to any complaint within 28 days.
In matters which do not affect the welfare of the children, the proprietors decision is final. If a matter is felt to be too serious to be dealt with then it may be referred to the registering authority (OFSTED)."
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM

The above posts are taken from my coursework. Please don't take them word for word - but I hope they help a bit!
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM

sobia is on a distinguished road

thank you so much this will help