Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

catpool is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Mobile Phones And Cameras

Hi one of my staff has just been on the safeguarding children course.
She said it mentioned phones and cameras.
Does anyone have any more information on this???
I currently use my own camera and mobile phone,as the messages dont get through to me from the office.I dont store any of the parents numbers in my phone only those who are my personal friends. But this is the contact number for the club!!!! What are the views from ofsted on this???????
PLEASE HELP!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, the recent child abuse case where a then nursery staff member used a mobile phone to take, store and distribute images has highlighted how much of a risk personal/work phones & cameras can be in regards to all safeguarding procedures.

Interested to hear others policy & procedure for mobile phones and cameras.
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:59 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you shouldnt have any info for work on your own phone this breaks the data protection act. the camera you use should belong to the setting AND stay in the setting locked away. images should be downloaded then deleted from the memory card. permission for this should be in writing from the parents. no workers should have mobiles on the floor they dont need them and they should use the camera facility at all. the phone you use at work shoud be a sole use one NOT your own. i think play England have a sample policy it might be worth speaking to your regional office
Unread 11-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

In our setting Mobile phone is for sole use of setting. I have to use my own camera as the setting can't afford one. i have to print the photos at home but they are deleted straight away and i don't store them on my hard drive
Unread 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDora View Post
In our setting Mobile phone is for sole use of setting. I have to use my own camera as the setting can't afford one. i have to print the photos at home but they are deleted straight away and i don't store them on my hard drive
You have no idea how great it is to hear what everyone does for their setting
I'm not in this position so my apologies if any of the following is felt as inappropriate. As a manager I'd be looking to safeguard staff as much as Children and possibly be asking their permission to look at what registering a private address with the data protection agency involved/checking with the police / local EY's. Name them officially within policies & procedures as a data controller/processor of digital media and add it to a list of professional role responsibilities. Your equipment, home and family are exposed to a much higher risk of suspicion should any allegation or query ever be made so risk assessing/auditing the whole process as described is another area for consideration. A laptop/printer and setting owned digi camera would leap to the top of the fundraising causes and once in place I would be asking the staff member very very nicely if they'd consider continuing with organising everything.

Whether a member's address is data registered, exempt or not, I'm not sure how at risk their own, personally owned equipment is if the setting owned pieces travelled with risk assessment between work and home for further administration.

Pages 19 & 20 of the ICO's notification exemptions - self assessment_guide is good.

xx
the cost of ad blockers