Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

anitak is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Activity to promote positive images - 308/305

Hi there. Really hope someone can help with inspiration - am struggling to think of activities to support Unit 305.2 and 308.1 - promote positive images and/or reflect wider society. It feels so huge! My assessor is coming in just two weeks - EEK!
AND in this observation am also trying to implement Unit 303/KD 219...... I might be biting off more than I can chew here!
Any help you can give me GREATLY appreciated.
This forum is brilliant BTW!
Anitak

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi firstly welcome to Silkysteps & thanks !

Is it the City & Guilds NVQ 3 you are studying ?
I've used this PDF as a guide - CCLD Level 3.pdf so am hoping so !!

Unit CCLD 305 - Protect and Promote Children's rights
305.2 - Implement strategies, policies, procedures and practice for inclusion
PC. 2 - Provide an environment, activities and experiences that promote positive images of children and reflect the wider society.

Unit CCLD 308 - Promote Children's well being and resilience
308.1 - Enable Children to relate to others.
and Incorporating Unit 303 KD3210 .. lol

How about using your Sand tray / pit !!

Sand play is a naturally inclusive activity and H&S risk assessments should throw up any areas for consideration .. Height for wheelchair users, ability to pull legs under the tray for ease of use, position and physical access to the tray - provision of caps/hats for any children needing to ensure sand doesn't get near the scalp, aprons or other clothing needs. Frequency that the sand is changed - who buys it (possibly parent/committee communications) and where old sand is disposed of - these procedures may relate to any best practice, policy & procedure documents that your group has in place.

Include some hand puppets to encourage role play diversity & conversation between the children - buckets and spades maybe for the Puppets to use & fill. To incorporate positive images you could have a hanging mobile or sandpit sign/poster showing children at play in the Preschools sand / at a beach and note what tools are being used - reflecting the wider society could include the children knowing what else sand is used for, who else (what else) uses it & possibly where !

As an extention to sand play you could have a pot of glitter or tubs of coloured sand to sprinkle over if the play suddenly needs a new focus - you might need permission to do this beforehand though, so that the sand isn't 'changed' for other day to day play.. water syringes are a good alternative.

We used to have a dustpan & brush that the children had free access to and could sweep up & throw away any sand on the floor. This is good for a range of 'Why we do things' and where necessary can be used as a adult+child activity that helps deal with and diffuse situations, it was also great for topical chat, as well as it being part of our overall Tidy up time play !!

'Why can't we put the sand back in the tray' ?
'At home we might be able to .. at Preschool .. there are lots more shoes walking by and we can't aways make sure the sand is still clean enough for us to play with' .. (this might only apply if outdoor shoes are worn and the sand is only cleared once at the end of the session !

Play or pocket notes with key questions and Play action strategies written on can help prompt & guide adults looking for a play avenue /reason to play themselves they can also be used for ideas that help cope with problems / unexpected actions of others.

Sharing, turn taking, intentional & unintentional destruction - ensure enough containers are available (not necessarily sand specific ones !!) that turn taking happens to everyone's satisfaction and that everyone's expecting the unexpected including squashed sandcastles & requesting sand not be flicked !! lol

First aid procedures may come in for this as well!

Supporting Children's resilience in this activity will be in explaining & giving reassurance about anything that may appear impractical, seemingly unworkable, things and actions that may result in dissapointment or anything that may provoke probing questioning .. 'Why' & or saddness.

Hope that all helps a bit and please let us know how it goes ..
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-06-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added resilience link & first aid thought !
Unread 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

anitak is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

Thanks for your response - yes I am doing City and Guilds.

I really wasnt looking at the observation, in that way, so this has really helped focus me a little more on how ALL play can be inclusive!! Thats great - thank you.

Our sandpit is outdoors and large, but not wheelchair accessible, so not sure I can run with this, but you have helped me to think about talking to my assessor (who I find really scary) about the steps we might take if we had someone with disability (which we dont right now). Our 2 special needs children have some communication dificulties, so I can show how we use visual timetables, and some Makaton.

I was thinking to head along the lines of listening to different types of music - bhangra, jungle etc..... or doing a circle time activity around differences/similarities in each other. Again not sure if this really fits the criteria but thought it might go some way towards it. I work with 2.5-4 yr olds so not sure if that would work too well.

Your reply has really set me thinking about how to extend knowledge - esp the idea of what else we us sand for and so on.... THANK YOU. The idea of pocket notes will help me, as I have a tendency to freeze when my assessor is around - great tip!!! Hopefully this will make it all a bit easier.

Will let you know how it goes.

Regards
anitak
Unread 04-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Oh the music sounds great !

And out door sandpit does too. A deep gardening tray and low level bench should help plan for any possible wheelchair access in the future and great not to have to change it over as much as an indoor one .. weathered, checked, washed & airdried sand is sooo good lol but thats just a personal opinion!

The pocket notes can be useful, but as with everthing - only if they're welcomed, the whole 'extension thing is a real 'only when you're ready' situation... or at least it should be .. bit like the infamous chewing gum wrapper & exam scenario !

Hope you have a fab time
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

olive is on a distinguished road
Default 303 -219

Did you have any luck with these question if so i could do with a little help anything will do :idea:
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Hi, Unit 303 K3D219 is about how you promote children’s development from 3-7 years and why - you can access the ccld unit pdfs on the CWDC's website if it helps: Silkysteps thread

It's quite a big section, can you try to work slowly through each point and see how it applies to what you do in your setting?

You're more than welcome to post specific parts to help with research & identifing own practice and to use the search page to find all the other posts and threads made onsite for K3D219 - advanced search page

Welcome to the site
xx
the cost of ad blockers