Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 05-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Tara Leigh

Default NVQ2 Unit 206.2 Please someone help me!!!

please help - have to do a role playing activity that a) covers pse, b) is multicultural, c) avoids stereotyping, d) explores feelings and the roles of others including adults. I haven't got a clue where to start!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Piglet101

I had to do something like that at my nursery. I decided on a hospital role play, as there isn't any stereotyping, is multicultral and covers PSE. You don't say how old the children are though.
Unread 05-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to Silkysteps.

I was looking at the streets alive intiative earlier that may help with this - the Zebra crossing charaters Streets alive Arts, scroll down on the page a little. excellent lol

Along similar lines could you use Zebra role play to look at road crossings and cover all the points asked - it gets a little complicated when you get down deep with the idea, but look at what you'd like the children to find out about and pick out the bits you want xx

PSE: How to stay safe - Road crossing awareness, playing cooperatively and alongside others, turn taking. Socially to discover other countries exist that are different to our own.
Multicultural: could be to have images of crossings, patrols, uniforms and tools from other countries or that some zebras live on the plains of Africa.

Avoids steryotyping Chat about School crossing patrol persons. How both men and women, young and old help us to cross roads safely.

From the Zebra's point of view & depending how you look at it, this activity could be styreotypical.. if you want to explore how to help overcome/avoid these issues you could ask the children if and where they have seen Zebras before, in the UK - conservation parks, while on a holiday, visiting family, on tv or in another country - extend it to ask if they think Zebras are white with black stripes or Black with white stripes - Zebras from Wikipedia

Explores feelings and the roles of others including adults: Role of a SCP is to help others cross roads. How do the Children feel about this, and how do the children think SCPs like doing their job? Can also chat about uniforms and items that helps to show who a SCP is. Alternatively, what do Children feel about Zebras. How are Zebras looked after in the wild and in captivity - roles and reasons of wardens, zoo workers, care providers / vets.

Resources: Zebra dressing up and role play area.
White cotton sheet oblongs - pillowcases with the sides cut and a hole made for heads would be good. Use crayons to add stripes, before or as part of the role play.
Soft toy Zebras can help less ready children to take part in dress up play.
Zebra mark making and Masks - White paper, scissors and crayons - chat about eyes, nostrils, muzzels and eyelashes ..

This role play could be good for outdoors if Children want to gallop, trot and walk, to find a water hole or maybe a tree to shelter beneath, find some grass to eat or flick their tail to keep flies away.

Alternatively you could plan a small world role play - a large play board for the safari plain, sawdust, sand and real grass/twigs. plastic scaled or paper based Zebras - chat about herds and hooves, heat and sun..

Other resources could be pictures and books on road crossings - how black and white stripes help the crossing stand out and let everyone know where they are .. and for Zebras that strips help them hide in the long grasses

Hope this helps, have fun & enjoy the site

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i was observing a setting this week that had a hairdressers but it ws exclusively female. no men s products, pics of hairstyles etc also all the pics etc were white and the products for european hair. they changed it beautifully and it was superb, so a unisex hair stylist why not!
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Tara Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet101 View Post
I had to do something like that at my nursery. I decided on a hospital role play, as there isn't any stereotyping, is multicultral and covers PSE. You don't say how old the children are though.
Thanks for that - the children are between 2 & 5. Someone else I spoke to suggested a hospital role play so I think I'll go with that!! Thanks again.