Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bec2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with case studies

Hello, I have only just found this forum, I started my level 2 in January and am muddling through I have got to do case studies and am not sure how much detail I need to go into, I have borrowed one of my collegues files to look at and she didn't do one please can anyone advise me what to put, they are

1 you are going through the settling in arrangements with a parent and explaining that to ease the transition of the child into the setting, it is best that the parent visits with the child for at least one session prior to the child starting. That they stay for part of the 1st session and then depending on how well the child settles in may need to stay for part of the second session. With this the parent gets angry, abrupt and rude saying that the y do not wish to do this and criticise the procedure explaining that she is a one parent family who needs to go out and work and can’t spare the time to do this.

2 you are explaining to a new parent the policies of the setting and that as part of your equal opportunities policy you celebrate other cultures festivals with activities and cooking, the parent complains that they do not agree with this as there are no other children from other cultures within the setting – which is why they chose it. They do not wish for their child to participate in and other cultures festivals or eat any foreign muck.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to the site.

I'm hoping others can help with ideas on what their own practice involves but for your first point I would suggest that you make sure your parent knows that everything they say is ok. In reply perhaps ask the parent who the Child's main carer is during their current working hours and if it's possible that they, instead, could be part of the settling in period - familiar adults that the Child will have a strong association with - of age sibling, other parent, childminder, aunt, uncle, nan, grandad or family friend ..

Explaining the reasons for a settling in policy may or maynot work. If parents have an employment commitment that takes precedence over staged visits to the preschool its completely understandable that they are more concerned with ensuring their paid income continues.

However if noone else is able to help settle the Child into their new environment / preschool, home visits are becoming more common place - I'm not sure of the procedure for these though sorry.

Ultimately if no solution is found to bridge home & setting, each time the child attends their welfare should be of the highest priority within the group. The opportunity for one to one interaction, gentle unpressured introduction to small areas of the setting, a corner jigsaw area, a goldfish and bowl/tank maybe, quiet area with books, puppets, slowly seeing who/which adult the child bonds with and ensure that they are happy to always be available when needed .. all this can make sure becoming part of the group is at the sole discretion of the Child.

Googling settling in policy will bring up many more ideas ..

For the second, you may need to refer Parent to your lead / supervisor. What's being described is discrimination even if it's not directly meant.

The fact that Children from culturally diverse backgrounds aren't enrolled at that particular time of enquiry doesn't mean that another parent won't be in touch the next day to ask about your group, letting parents know this will help them make informed decisions.

Explain that your inclusion (or other) policy means the group openly welcomes all Children and Parents regardless of culture and to promote this, Staff and children regularly enjoy exploring other cultures.
That children always have the choice to not participate in activities and newsletter / other communications are distributed often to let everyone know of upcoming events/food tasting - you could ask what foods it is that they don't like and see if there is a reason for their distaste, it may highlight allergies or personal preference rather than prejudice.

Standing by your policy and provision will make sure Parents are aware of your commitment to all the Children in your care. Having built links with other early years settings in the area will also help reassure you that this approach is best for outcomes and practice.

Equal opportunities policy preschool - googled, is also good for more information.

I hope this helps, look forward to hearing others views.

Enjoy Silkysteps

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

and remember the immortal phrase "well i think we probably arent the setting for you, im sorry we cant accommodate you i do hope you can find somewhere that suits you" big smile! practiced that in the mirror for months and got it right the smile is vital!
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
""
Thank you very much, I have got some of that but you have added some very good points, inclusion, thats the word I was looking for

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 05-15-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: minimised the quoted post :-)
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
and remember the immortal phrase "well i think we probably arent the setting for you, im sorry we cant accommodate you i do hope you can find somewhere that suits you" big smile! practiced that in the mirror for months and got it right the smile is vital!
:rotfl: That was part of my 1st one line answer! I have now covered it with passing them to the manager, and that she may suggest that!
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:02 AM

OK this is what I've done so far for the racist one, do you think that its ok?

I would remain calm and explain to the parent that **** has equal opportunities/inclusion policies that mean that we will take any child regardless of their religion/culture/beliefs and that looking at other cultures is part of the Early Years Foundation Stage which is a document that the government has created that has to be followed by all early years childcare providers, but children are given a choice and if they don’t want to eat something they are not forced.

I would ask if there was a particular food that would be a problem to ensure the child had no allergies, if there were some I would check that these were recorded in the allergy book, and explain that there is a notice up in the foyer saying what the snack will be each day.

If this wasn’t an adequate explanation I would then invite the parent into the office to give more privacy to our conversation, I would listen to the parent and let them know that whilst I understand what they are saying I can only repeat that the nursery does have an equal opportunities policy and whilst there may be no children from other cultures here at the moment should they wish to attend their, culture/beliefs etc would be no reason to turn them away.

I would talk about what this means in regards to ****, this is that different cultures are represented in the equipment, there are puzzles showing family life for families of different cultures, there are costumes from other cultures in the dressing up box and that they are represented in the role play area, packets of food and chop sticks etc, I would explain how we cover this as part of the planning, that we make Divas at Dwali, a clay pot to put a candle in, we talk very briefly about the Hindus festival of lights and tell the story of Rama being guided by lights when he was lost. That we do a nativity at Christmas and children learn about the birth of Jesus and that we make Christmas cards and trees and make decorations to decorate a Christmas tree which goes on display in the festival of Christmas trees at the local church.

If the parent was still not happy I would offer to arrange for them to have a meeting with the manager, where she could discuss the options, A parent can apply for exemption from the learning requirements of the EYFS if they have a good reason for wanting exception or maybe our setting would not be for them, but either option would need to be offered and handled by the manager

Last edited by bec2012 : 05-15-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Copy and paste had made it into one paragraph!