Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
sampsonslater

Default SEF form!

AAAAaarrrgghhhh!

would anyone be willing to share their completed SEF forms????

am spending ooodles of time on it and am thinking i may be over complicating things??????? or adding too much????

how much information are you all putting into it and have you cross referenced certain areas?

any help would be greatly recieved

mant thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

mines in a folder on a self untouched! I keep picking it up though!!

Nursery World have been running a series(once a month) - part 4 this week, so if you haven't seen it, it might bw worth looking on the website. They key messages seem to be...be analytical rather than descriptive when evaluating.

Also they say to make it a 'whole team effort' - which is easier said than done. I work in a pack-away preschool, and trying to find even more 'unpaid' time to do it seemsunfair on both myself and the staff.

xxxx
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
mines in a folder on a self untouched! I keep picking it up though!!

Nursery World have been running a series(once a month) - part 4 this week, so if you haven't seen it, it might bw worth looking on the website. They key messages seem to be...be analytical rather than descriptive when evaluating.

Also they say to make it a 'whole team effort' - which is easier said than done. I work in a pack-away preschool, and trying to find even more 'unpaid' time to do it seemsunfair on both myself and the staff.

xxxx
That sounds like my group lol. EYFS seems to be making so much more paperwork. My staff are starting to "revolt" about the extra work. Heard today that my Deputy has spoken to the Chairperson about it.

As for the SEF - we can't get on - they have mixed the date of birth of our old chair with our new chair Found out last month, though, that I can, as Supervisor, get my own code. Need to do it but as you say when???
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

I Have the same problem with the SEF our last pre-school leader did not do it and the one before that, so now its up to me,i keep looking at it sighing and then put it awaywe are also a pack away pre-school and do not have the time but i know OFSTED will not be happy and they are due to turn up.
any advice anyone?
Unread 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM

janeb is on a distinguished road

Don't stress about SEFs - it is supposed to be a useful tool (self evaluation is like a reflective diary!):teacher:

We filled ours in by being honest - just write down what you actually do in your setting, things you are aware of which you are about to change, any changes you've made from an action plan.
Don't worry about adding lots of technical terms and update it as often as you like - the first copy you submit doesn't have to be a masterpiece which doesn't need changing for years. I view it as a working document - keeping track of the changes we've made, ideas we've trialled (and why they didn't work for us if appropriate) and ways forward.

Although they have a reputation as a weird alien species, Ofsted inspectors are actually human ... at least, I think so!
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Kathie is on a distinguished road

We are in the PROCESS of filling in this form!!!!! ARGHHHHH TOO, who decieded to create this as if we haven't got enough to do. It is difficult i tend to do too much info because worried that you may forget to put important stuff in and then it may reflect negatively if you don't add in something you do do. What a pickle it gets us in people say not to worry but i think we all do really
Unread 04-24-2009, 09:02 PM

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

i recently went on a course which told you how to fill it out, it was fantastic, very useful, if i can find information i will try and put it on.....but as ive just moved and it is packed in a box!!! not sure how soon that will be.

i do know that we were told ofsted do not like you to repeat yourself on these forms so you have to cross reference alot
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
sampsonslater

thanks for ure replies, its good to hear that im not the only one finding it hard to find time!!!
that would be great Farleys if you could put that info up

many thanks xx
Unread 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
katy_s

im struggling too its taking me ages to do it x
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Zoo Keeper

Think of SEF as a paper sieve anything you evaluate up there in that mind (we are all good at that and not writing it down) as needing improvement...write down. Then put how you will change practice, what you will do and when you will do it. Get staff involved by delegating roles and then you can just update the findings.....Simples eh!
At the same time, what staff identify they can work on and develop their own practice too.

Says me i too have struggled though and could do with training on SEF i have read the guidance and it does make sense. We often plan in our heads its just a working document that you can use as a working action plan.

Hope this helps :)