Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Jodiep is on a distinguished road
Default child development birth to 19yrs

Hi Everybody.
I am doing the child development unit and have to do some sort of display to show the pattern of development, IM STUMPED!!! Im not sure how to display it or how much information needed and my tutor has told me that I am doing too much work with what I have submitted so far, PLEASE HELP XXXXXXXXXXXX

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

xxladylisaxx is on a distinguished road

i did it in a table like this and then went on to do communication, Intellectual/Cognitive, Social, Emotional and Behavioural and Moral.

Age Physical
Birth When a baby is born they mainly line supine(on their backs) with their heads to one side, their hands are normally tightly closed, and open their hands when they are being fed, having cuddles or the backs of their hands are being stroked.
1 At the age of 1 a child will be able to rise themselves up without help of furniture or people, and are able to stand alone for a couple of seconds. By now they are also learning to walk and will start by needed both hands of a parent/carer/practitioner and as they progress it will go down to one hand and then they will be walking all by themselves. By 18 months a child can climb up into a chair and turn around and sit down without help, and they can knee up right with out support and then get up and walk around.
2 The age of two a child can push and pull wheeled toys, sit in a toy car and move around by moving their feet, they can run safely and avoid obstacles that are in there way. At 2 years old you start learning how to jump and are beginning to jump and land with both feet together from a low raise, and can kick a ball gently. When looking at their fine motor skills, a 2 year old start to draw circles and lines in the hand they will tend to use, and will improve their grip from a Palma grip to a Tripod grip, will start using a cup to drink from will have fewer spills.
3 At the age of 3 a child can ride a tricycle using the pedals and can help other children when they are trying to pedal. When kicking a ball a 3 year old will use there whole body’s force to make the ball travel, a 3 year old can catch a ball with arms stretched out in front of them and throw a ball over handed. When looking at the fine motor skills of a 3 year old, they can start to cut paper with scissors, thread large beads on to lace and can start to draw a person starting with the face and squiggly lines that indicate arms and legs. When it comes to meal times a 3 year old is starting to use a fork in conjunction with a spoon.
4 At the age of 4 a child can stand, run and walk on tip toe, can bounce a ball and enjoy climbing trees and and climbing frames. Looking at the fine motor skills for a 4 year old can thread small beads on to a lace and hold a pen or pencil in an adult fashion and can draw a figure that represents a person with arms and legs.
5 A 5 year old, can stand on one foot balancing for a couple of seconds and start learning how to ride a bike without stabilisers, they can bend from the waist and touch their toes and sometimes the floor without bending their knees. A 5 year old will show co-ordination skills whilst playing and dancing to music. Looking at the fine motor skills a 5 year old can draw a person with eyes, nose , arms and a mouth and have good control over the pencil or paint brush in their hand.

6 A 6 year old will jump of objects with confidence can start to hop on the spot or along a line holding their balance. They also have learnt how to spell their surname and any middle names and can now write their full name. A six year old can stack bricks in a straight line and hight, to which they have been asked to do.

7 A 7 year old has now learnt how to hop with both legs and balance on both legs, they are starting to show increasing stamina in different activities such as: - swimming, dancing, gymnastics and martial arts. They can start to climb on climbing apparatus with different skills and start managing to use climbing ropes and even walking along narrow walkways, such as stepping stones, balance beams and planks of weeks. Looking at the fine motor skills of a 7 year old they can draw people with heads, faces, body's, hair, hands with fingers and even clothes, are starting to learn how to sew with a large needle and thread. The writing skills of a 7 year old are more competent and the individual letters are more clear and capital and small letters are in proportion.
8 At the age of 8 a child will have increased body strength and co-ordination and quicker reaction time, when doing an activity, and often enjoy participating win competitive games and activity’s. Looking at the fine motor skills an 8 year old will have more control over their small muscles and will be able to draw and write with greater skills.
9 At the age of 9 a child will be able to ride a two-wheeled bicycle easily and can skip freely and use a skipping rope and enjoy active and energetic games and sports. Looking at the fine motor skills of a 9 year old they can start to draw people with details on clothing and facial features like earnings and a moustache.
10 At the age of 10 females will start to experience puberty while boys will take longer to start developing, and will start to become more independent from their family.
11 At the age of 11 a child will become more aware of his or her body as puberty approaches and they start worrying about body image's and eating problems sometimes start around this age
12 At the age of 12 a female will grow taller and the puberty cycle begins. Boys will start to experience puberty now as they are 2 years behind girls in the development of puberty.
13 At the age of 13 a teenager will form stronger, more complex friendships and peer relationships. It becomes more emotionally important to have friends, especially of the same sex and will even experience more peer pressure into doing and trying different things.
14 At the age of 14 a teenager will start to get concerned with their appearance and start to follow trends and will even experience more peer pressure into doing and trying different things.
15 At the age of 15 a teenager will be getting used to puberty and will be talking about different experiences they have had.
16 - 19 At the age of 16-19 a teenager will want to start to experience their sexual desires and essentially completed physical maturation, their physical features are shaped and defined.

i hope this helps x

level 2 handbook
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Oh thankyou so so much.

That has really helped me and thankyou for such a speedy response
xxxxxxxxxx
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM

your welcome xx
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Becky is on a distinguished road

Hi

I found this help with my unit with the chart i'm doing too, i'm glad that i'm not the only one who is stuck on it.
I am stuck on the communication, be great if you could help me out with any pointers you may have thank you x
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Hiya,

In the end I did a chart and just put the different ages and the 3 x communication and intellectual development and the 3 x physical and 3 x social, emotional and behavioural development. The Child Development book by Caroline Meggitt was a great help and is full of great info. Im doing my observations at the moment and its helping with those too.
I hope that helps, if not just fire more questions and I will try to answer.

Good Luck xxx
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi

Thank you for telling me about the book I will have to see if I can find it as it sounds like it would come in useful for me too. That's what I want to do with putting it in a chart. How did you do yours? Did you do a seprate chart for each development?
Also how do you mean when you say 3x?

Thank you :) xx
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Birth Communication for a baby is mainly crying when they are hungry, upset, need changing or just need a cuddle. As they grow they start to gurgle and make baby sounds and even start to smile when you are talking to them. By the time they reach 6-9 months they are starting to say simple words like mama and dada, enjoys communicating with sounds, and understands and obey the command 'no thank you'
1 Communication for a 1 year old, they respond to their name when it is called and recognise familiar sounds and voices, they start to say more simple words as 'Ta', 'Cat', 'Dog', 'More'. Some other ways they communicate with adults is by clapping their hands to a song, or waving their hands up and down when doing an activity.
2 Communication for a 2 year old is now developing and their vocabulary is changing from 'Ta' to 'Thank You' and 'Dada' to 'Daddy', a 2 year old can say 200 words and they learn new words very quickly. By the age of 2 ½ they can start singing a few simple nursery rhymes and start saying and using the pronouns 'I', 'Me', and 'You' correctly when they are talking.
3 Communication of a 3 year old is getting wider and as they are playing they talk to others and play with them and by using their own experiences they start talking about them and start conversations with other children or adults. If the child is around people who speak another language regularly they will start to learn the language and slowly will start to speak in the language they have learnt.
4 A 4 year old's can now talk fluently and asking questions, and is able to answer questions that have been asked of them. A 4 year old can tell stories to others and can remember the story they are telling, and they also can talk about things from the past and talk about things they are going to do like going to school, the dentist and going to see family who do not live by.
5 A 5 year old has a scene of time and can talk about advents past, present and future and their speech is fluent and they are starting to realise their grammar, and will start to ask about abstract word like 'what does beyond mean?'.
6 At the age of 6 a child can talk with confidence and can talk fluently in their native tongue if English is not their first language.
7 At the age of 7 a child can express themselves in speech, and start talking about their feelings.
8 At the age of 8 a child can use and understands complex sentences and will use complex sentences when talking to another child or an adult.
9 At the age of 9 a child’s vocabulary is still developing and they learn new words and when reading their words come out fluently and clear.
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Thank you that's great, that information will come in useful now just need to do the rest of the ages.

Thank you

Unread 09-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Contributor

alaska1983nicky is on a distinguished road

I have to do this also but for the stages of cognitive development?>