Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

laura0011 is on a distinguished road
Default unit 308 Communicate with children openly and honestly in ways that are not judgmental - help pleasssseeee

ive used this fantastic site and its been a great help, ive always got info needed without posting but ive gone totally brain dead nearly finished

can anyone give me ideas or bullet points for what i can write about

Communicate with children openly and honestly in ways that are not judgmental

Thx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

anncs is on a distinguished road

Iv sat for ages on this one too, can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks, Ann
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to silkysteps, this is performance criteria that hopefully your assessor will be able to see you doing in action

it may involve you
  • Always being friendly and approachable: check what facial expressions and body language you use - smiling, make eye contact, turn your body towards the child when communicating, scowl, grimace, look deflated or defeated, turn body away.
  • Checking facial expressions are appropriate for what you are feeling/saying - do you smile when angry or laugh when sad
  • being non-judgemental: evaluate personal experiences before communicating with observations or statments of fact - ones that you view considerably positive and those that were negative enough to influence your practice & would use to help guide choices/decisions, opposing views exist for most situations eg. what I find nice you may not. Being smacked as a child doesn't mean smacking is right, being of one faith doesn't mean everyone should belong ..
  • Listen carefully and give time for the information to be given - use promtps to help show you are listening 'tell me more, 'that's interesting, 'Oh, I see, 'what happened next
  • Repeat what has been said in a complete and correct form to ensure everyones understanding.
  • Give praise, encouragement and share observations appropriately whenever needed or wanted.
    Maybe see what training is available for exploring: Children's learned or learnt helplessness, what attention seeking behaviour evolves from, school readiness, its definitions and implications.
  • Show you value what is being said taking time to understand where it is coming from and where it is going - does the child feel victimised, what exisitng knowledge is being used to base their interactions and communications on.
  • Challenge prejudice and discrimination without judgement, which can mean not disciminating against discrimination: explain your experience, knowledge and possible alternatives .. 'only girls look after babies = "boys and dads also look after babies", "my dad read me stories when I was little, my husband reads stories to our baby', 'xx's brother helps to put her shoes on when they all go out for a walk. He was telling us how he helps to feed her after she's had her nappy changed. What things does your dad/brother/friend help you do?
  • Keep promises - don't agree to actions that you are unable, unsure or unwilling to follow through on.
  • Honour comittments - take the assurances given to children, young people and to colleagues, parents & carers seriously - contact the people you said can help, provide children with updates to situations where and when appropriate.
  • Be fair, consitent and positive: don't say one thing to one child and contradict yourself to another or change what you feel about a subject day to day - pushing someone over without their permission is as negative on tuesday as it is on saturday. Point out what children can do and how barriers/problems can be overcome.
  • Evaluate the impact that your professionalism, behaviour and/or responses has on others.
  • Maybe analyse the words and phrases used to see how appropriate and inappropriate they can be eg.
    Labelling words: that was stupid, you are naughty
    Ridule, tease and demean, shame: you act like a baby, you're such a tell-tale, why are you so messy, I'm ashamed of you, you can't do anything
  • Always have an awareness of the confidentiality and privacy that may be needed wen communicating honestly and openly.
Hth, enjoy the site xx
the cost of ad blockers