Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

PeePe is on a distinguished road
Default CYP core 3.4 Support CYP's health and safety

I'm currently doing this unit and have been asked to make a leaflet for staff in my setting and I have hit a wall on ....

• an explanation of how health and safety is monitored and maintained and how people in the work setting are made aware of risks and hazards and encouraged to work safely

I'm not sure exactly what I'm being asked to do for this one nor how to make it read so it would meet the criteria and be suitable for staff to read, I have looked in my heinmann book and it hasn't helped me at all. Am I supposed to be:

1 - Explaining in the leaflet itself what all the procedures etc are within my own setting.
2 - Telling them where to find the information of how its monitored and maintained.
3 - or something completely different

Any help on this would be great.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road
Default Health, Safety & Hygiene

Health and Safety in your setting:

Look at your policies and procedures and all the answers will be there, and ask your manager if you are not sure. You should all know them.

Cleaning products - where do you store them? what do you use?

Toilets/wash basins - how do you ensure hygiene - when are they cleaned/checked etc

How do you teach the children the importance of hygiene?

How do you teach the children the importance of safety?

Food preparation - any food certificates held by staff? how is it prepared/stored? Do you have a fridge? Differents boards? hygiene routine before preparing food?

How do you dispose of food? - do you have different bins? - bin in fhe setting just for tissues and food/other rubbish in kitchen or outside?

Changing nappies - what is your routine? where/how do you dispose of nappies?
If a child has a toilet 'accident' what is your procedure?

First aid - do you have a designated first aider? what are your procedures? Is the first aid box regularly checked?

Fire doors? Fire drills? Fire/smoke alarms, Fire doors?

Clear pathways to fire escape route?

Equipment - electrical and toys i.e. climbing appartatus checked, maintained/repaired or replaced if dangerous.

Safety of children and staff:

Entry into setting - what safety procedures do you use? how do you check people coming in?

Child collection - what are your policies and procedures if someone else is collecting a child?

Home/lone visits - what is your policy on this>

Safety of staff/children if you have an angry parent? - do you 'manouvre' them to an office and make sure there are two members of staff for support?

etc etc anything that your setting does to ensure health and safety will be in your policies and procedures. As well as the obvious h & s issues, remember good hygience ensures the safety of anyone contracting something such as food posioning, worms, sickness etc

Each setting is different, so the above may not necessary apply to your setting. I hope this gives you some ideas for your poster.
Unread 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

PeePe is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you thank you thank you

Thank you so much Heidi, I was hitting the wall on this one and thanks to your wonderful reply, I can now get back on it :-) Thank you again
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

laujay is on a distinguished road

How did you get on Peepe??

I have to do the same and have hit a blank The questions you asked where the same i was asking myself!
I decided to go for a power point, but i need to make my answers simpler. That is what im struggling with, i don't want too miss anything vital out!
Do you have any advice?

XX