Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

annwebbo is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Can someone please help me on - provide a safe, secure and encouraging envir

Can someone please help me ive been given a activity 4.6 to do - provide a safe, secure and encouraging environment in partnership with families. I just can't think of anything, please help,
Any help would be great
Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM

MumOfGorgeousBoysx is on a distinguished road

Hi Sweetie,
What Unit is this from? x
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by annwebbo View Post
Can someone please help me ive been given a activity 4.6 to do - provide a safe, secure and encouraging environment in partnership with families. I just can't think of anything, please help,
Any help would be great
Thanks
I am sure you are already providing a safe and secure environment - by putting everything that is needed to make it so -
safe - where are you holding this activity?
Is there ample space so no one gets hurt?
Have you checked that you aren't placing a floor activity next to plug sockets and/or without safety socket covers in place.
Are you doing an activity involving cooking? If so, what have you put in place to make sure it is safe? Will they be using knives? Have you decided if it is a one-to-one activity because of safety or you are going to have 8 around you?

just think of any activity and go through it in your mind - it's just what you do automatically all the time - such as unlocking/making sure your fire doors are free and unhindered to use.

Safe and Secure - you've thought about the safety above, but how do you ensure it/those things are secure, that everyone always carries out those procedures? - you policies and procedures and reflection on your practice - as you realise or learn that something is beneficial, you add it to your procedures and may incorporate it into your policies.

You will have procedures whether you let anyone into the building - by arrangement, passwords, identity - and if not sure - ring the compnay up independently - don't use the number they give you. Genuine people will not mind waiting outside.
And everything else that you need to keep secure - the kitchen area etc

Encouraging environment - how do you make the activty area appealing ?- Bright colours rather than drab?
good/new resources - tired old broken ones aren't very appealing?
Taking into account the children's interest - allow further scope for the children to add to the activty i.e. if you have a restaurant the children could make out menu cards, or give a small/large (to share) white board/s and allow them to 'write and wipe' to change it as much as they like.
Where you place the activity - no good having the computer miles away from the plug socket, if an activity can't accessed easily, it won't be used
...and there will be another hundred reasons....

Partnerships with parents - involve them - ask for ideas, resources - whatever you need for certain activities (and you haven't got) i.e. boxes etc for junk gluing or if you are doing an activity to continue at home i.e. seed sowing ask them if they are able to share by way of pictures or photographs of how it has grown? etc Also parents observations - some will do them (some won't), but at least you are giving them an opportunity that they may not have thought of doing.

I hope this small taster will awaken your thought processes up this early hour.
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM

annwebbo is on a distinguished road

Thankyou so much heidi ,not sure what unit it is from she gave me it as a activity.