Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

toontoddy is on a distinguished road
Help SOS advice needed please

explain how to support a child/young people's self confidence and self esteem i am hoping someone may have some advice as my head is spinning

i know the things i need to do i.e. praise encouragement help child focus on what their good taking a interest in child's efforts as well as achievements the way children participate in activities is more important than results i.e. sharing helping others just not sure how to word it i would be grateful of any advice given

any advice would be gratefully recieved

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

You can support children/young person to develop their self-esteem by treating them as individuals, each child is different and has different abilities and needs. Be positive by using praise and encouragement to help children/young people focus on what they are good at. Notice when pupils are trying hard by taking an interest in their efforts as well as their achievements, remembering the way a pupil has participated in activities, is more important than the end results, for example were they sharing, helping other pupils and contributing ideas. Verbal encouragement is great if you are sitting close to the child, but you should also use non verbal gestures such as a smile or thumbs up if you are unable to speak to the child. We should foster cooperation rather than competition and give pupils the opportunity to make decisions and choices, even in a small way helps make them feel important.
We must not focus on the negative aspects of a pupil’s behaviour, the use of praise and positive behaviour strategies are beneficial to pupils and schools for a number of reasons for example it provides motivation for pupils through positive encouragement and rewards and increases pupils self esteem and confidence.
As well as verbal praise, the use of merit marks (house points) which celebrate good work and behaviour encourages participation.
Can anyone help me put this a little better as i'm really struggling
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

mother theresa is on a distinguished road
Default self esteem

you could try and put an example of how you have encouraged a child such as encouraging them to climb a frame by themselves as this makes them feel good when they achieve it
Unread 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother theresa View Post
you could try and put an example of how you have encouraged a child such as encouraging them to climb a frame by themselves as this makes them feel good when they achieve it
thank you that's exactly what i did spooky