Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

crazygirl is on a distinguished road
Default new here....help!! Mark making

i've just started nvq 2in ccld and don't really know what "mark marking" means. Please can anyone help me i am really stuck.Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

loublou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygirl View Post
i've just started nvq 2in ccld and don't really know what "mark marking" means. Please can anyone help me i am really stuck.Thank you
Hi 'mark making' is anything like writing, drawing, painting, using sticks and making marks - scribles, patterns in sand, flour etc.
So anything where a child uses something in their hand to make marks in something is 'mark making'.
Hope this helps.
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, mark making is the making of a mark - fingers/toes/noses on a condensated window, crayons on paper, sticks making indents in sand, drizzled gloop, water on concrete, chalks, paint, pencils, pens on a range of surfaces and in many different places.

Hth, a warm welcome to the site

Best wishes

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

There's a thread full of ideas to try out and add to if you want - Mark making
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM

thank you for all your replies, but the question is about communication and i says- Laura is about to start nursery and her mother calls her Flo at home and wishes for the setting to do the same. what confusions may arise when Laura ( flo) starts to learn about mark making.
Sorry seems i amde a spelling mistake and said marking instead of making!! what does mark making mean? Is it when like Laurs's mother calls her Flo doing it without permission and shortening someones name without permission???? Help!!!
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Hi no,

Mark making is a form of communication - as cave drawings communicated meaning so do hieroglyphics and as in English & other written languages - they are all 'marks.

In this example expectations have been set for Flo to begin accessing mark making activities and be able to start making connections that the marks she is making and has made, form shapes and lines like the letters that are in her name.

The confusison can come as she has two names - Laura her legal name and Flo her familiar name. Everyone needs to know which name to use so that the letters.. as you say them 'L 'A 'U 'R 'A aren't pointed out as belonging to her Flo name, except the L which later could be a nice link between the two .. f L o - that letter starts your Laura name ..

This can also apply to named resources - eg: coat peg, paintings, craft projects she would like to take home or display. As requested by her mum they should have Flo written on them or Laura once she understands the association and her mum has agreed / suggested beforehand.

To see how this works in practice, think about how you would react if a new colleague wrote CG on your work mug. She knows these are the initials of your name (CrazyGirl ), so when you ask her where your mug is - it's coffee/tea break.. she replies 'in the cupboard next to mine' .. but it isn't - there is a mug there but they aren't your initials so does it belong to you ..

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM

thank you SO much, i know what you mean now....its so plain when someone else points it out. Thank you you have been a great help. Im so glad that i have found this site. Thank you. x