Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

claredd1976 is on a distinguished road
Default Attention Span

Hi all

I have just completed a mammoth child development project, however, I am struggling on one part of it. I am supposed to include the approximate attention span of children of different ages between the ages of 0-16. Can anybody point me in the right direction of where I can find this information. it's not in any of my books, and I've googled it to no success.

Thanks for your help.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

Goodness - have you googled child development? I did this the other day for something else and I seem to recall there was something in one of those.

Surely all children are different? I have a two year old who'll spend the whole session making sandcastles and another who we're lucky if we get him in the same place for 2 minutes!
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

I know it is often said that you should allow one minute for each year of a childs age-
2yrs = 2mins
3yrs =3 mins
but this is only a very general guideline, as each child is individual.
Not sure if you'd ever find an actual quote from anyone that backs up statement though.......the name Jenny Linden comes to mind- but I'm not sure she's put a name to such a sweeping statement.
xxxx
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

Primrose is on a distinguished road

hi,

I have just googled 'childs attention span' and got quite a few things. Not got time to check them out as I am supposed to be working myself!!!!!

Have a look at this - it might help.

http://www.spring-ford.net/staff/dbi...ion%20span.htm
Unread 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Wide Eyed

Apologies, can't help but read the title and thought "mmm spam" - don't know what that says about my attention span.....:blush::rotfl:
Unread 08-19-2009, 09:45 PM

claredd1976 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Cabin, I've never heard that before, that's really interesting. Primrose, thanks for the link will definitely look at it. Miss Muffet that is so funny, probably not the best title, but it was late!!

I really appreciate all your help, I feel silly asking sometimes.
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Never feel silly asking questions, you may have asked it - but I bet your not the only one thinking about it!!!!

xxxx
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
As Cabin says, never feel silly... ask away, that's what this community is all about - friendship and support.