Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 07-22-2008, 09:35 PM
cat71

Default Working requirements for NVQ 3 CCLD

Hiya, I'm new here and completed my NVQ 2 CCLD and considering whether to register for NVQ 3 CCLD. I've got a few queries before I make up my mind, wonder if any of you may be able to help out.

Firstly, do I have to be in a paid position to study for the NVQ 3? With NVQ 2 I was able to complete course as a part time volunteer but, I can't find anywhere that confirms this in the information I've been reading. I have read that you have to have access to certain information that volunteers may not be privileged to and wonder if that would cause a problem with the NVQ 3.

If I don't have to be in a paid position, do you know how many hours/sessions I have to volunteer for to be able to gather evidence etc... on a weekly basis? With the NVQ 2, I volunteered for 2 sessions (5 hours in total) which was the required amount.

Does it really take 2 years to complete the Level 3? Can you use evidence from your NVQ 2 if it is less than 3 years old?

Sorry, so many questions in first post, really confused and want to register a.s.a.p. if it's the right course for me.

Thanks, xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
noah

I would ask where you are doing the course for the requirements...
we had an unpaid volunteer do NVQ3 with us, she had to do 16 hours a week minimum, and yes it did take her 2 years, despite already having level 2 to reference to.. but some of that was not eligible as they said it had been done too long ago..(1 year, but by time ended course would have been 3 yrs old which is why!) How long..May depend on the college and the assessors.. I did mine in 9 months but was an experienced practitioner, just updating, but others on same with less experience did it in 1 year.

How possible it is will depend on setting as to how helpful they are with some of the info and how included you are in their practice , but this can be the same even in paid work. For some reason some places seem very guarded and unhelpful..so choice of setting may come into it.

so many variables as every college and area is different.. best to ask where you intend to study.. ours does an interview before allowing you to enroll on these courses and hence all this can be discussed at the time.

Good luck in what ever you decide
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
cat71

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't had an interview as yet, probably because I haven't decided to apply yet. I'm not sure I could commit to 16 hours unless it was paid work, will have to find out if there is any chance of paid hours, even if it's only some of them.

I read on my local education website that you should really be in a position of responsibility and working unsupervised, surely as a level 2, this wouldn't be possible with a level 2 qualification as you are only and "assistant"! Lots of questions which I will need to raise with my setting before deciding if it's the right way to go for me.

I am accepted in the setting as a volunteer but, as it's a charity run organisation, not sure they can offer me the hours I would need paid, unless somebody left and then I wouldn't be qualified to take the postition anyway as I haven't even started the Level 3 course yet!

Thanks for your help, xx
Unread 07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
noah

Our student wasn't in a position of responsibility and working unsupervised, but level 2 does actually allow you to do this.. think they mean that you are able to work with the children without assistance rather than running or managing the place.. If that were so no one would ever be able to train!

She was a volunteer who worked unpaid ... but we did take her on staff when a vacancy arose as she was best candidate.. only one in fact !

we are starting another student from September and she has little experience so we have recommended level 2 , again unpaid.. but if a vacancy arises and she is suitable..
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

someone i know who has just finished level 2 has been told she needs more experience and to be in paid employment for 16 hours a week before she can get funding to do level 3 she is in Devon.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

anitak is on a distinguished road

Hi there. It really all does depend on your assessment centre/course provider, and how much experience and knowledge you may already have.

I am just in the final throes of NVQ3, having taken just on a year to do it, as an unpaid volunteer. I did not have level 2 but was taken onto 3 as I "had too much life experience to go onto level 2."

I worked 3 days a week unpaid, and had 2 days a week for study, and the study part was HARD. My setting did not fully support me (one member of staff who had just done NVQ3 herself was brilliant tho!) and I did not have enough responsibility really. This was really difficult when it came to observations, and drawing up assessment plans etc. I have winged it but it wasnt right really!!! You would really need consider your option units in light of this.

If you have a setting who will coach and mentor you and maybe let you in on staff meetings and let you co-key work a child or two then it will easier for you. Lots of these things didnt really occur to me till towards the end, and I am going to write to my setting in case they ever take on another student.

At the end, yes I am glad I did it, and really NVQ 3 is going to be absolutley necessary for any career progression so go for it!

Good luck!!
Unread 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you will need to demonstrate that you are for example a keyworker, that you asses and plan , that you contribute to the effectiveness of then team. we advise people to take at least a year working between, they re not a continuum. the nvq is to assess what you re already doing esp at level 3 its not to train you to do it. iyswim. this has been the case up until recently but now colleges are more aware that this was producing workers with no depth of skill or knowledge and ours and many others have tightened up and returned to the original nvq ethos.