Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

Highfive INVOLVING PRE-SCHOOL CHILDREN IN PLANNING

Hi

Can anyone tell me how they go about involving Pre-School children aged 2 - 4 years old the planning process

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

sally23 is on a distinguished road

I have read about 'learning walls' haven't experienced them myself but am looking into bring them in to my planning in Sept. Its child led planning of a sort!
In this nvq you're always one step ahead of me!!!
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

At the end of activities when we are clearing up together I ask the children what they enjoyed or didn't enjoy... what they might want to do next time... if they would like anything changed...

To start with they are not sure how to make suggestions but it's a continual process of asking and supporting them in their answers.

I make notes and when we do things again, I point out to them how they have influenced the planning process.

Hope this helps
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:25 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

We're a pack-away setting, so we have to have a plan of what resources to put out, we now fill this in as an activitiy with the children. We also have a book with all our resources photos to help remind them what we have. they can ask for resources to be changed, and if that not possible for any reason, times, manpower or whatever- they watch as we write it in the plans for their next session in. Added to this if we observe interests ect we also add that to planning Have to say this is working really well for us at the moment - I even have photos of the children helping with the planning - which is on the front cover of our planning folder!
xxx
Unread 05-25-2008, 12:13 PM

sparky is on a distinguished road

We do an activity called "whats in the bag". We put items into a large canvas bag. They might be linked to a topic we want to do or things that we have noticed the children are interested. We sing a song with signing and children take turns to pull something out of the bag. We then talk about the item and this informs us of their knowledge and whether or not they are really interested in something. Its amazing what they come up with. We write down who said what and use this to inform our planning for the next week
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

Some really good ideas here, thanks.

I actually received some information this morning on Children's Participation Training, course which is coming up in the near future. I wonder if it will cover involving them in the planning which would be useful.