Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Muggy

There MUST be an easier way!!!!!

Can anyone give me an easier way, or even a programme, for a Pre-school that will help me try to get my head around 2 and 3 year olds places, staff ratios, making sure theres still a place when a child turns 3yrs old without bringing another member of staff in, etc!!

I think those who know what I am on about, will understand!! I have been trying to get on top of a system since September, and just CAN'T! It's a constant headache! Children keep having 3rd birthdays and it complicates my system!!!

HELP!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
cybertwin

hi
we work at an overall 1:5 and this seems to work (i am over and above this and way)
we do have a higher proportion of over 3's anyway, with only a few being under 3 and for no more than 3 months as we start at 2y9m.
it can be hard to work out on a weekly basis.
how about classing those that turn 3 during a term not officially 3 till the next break (be it half term or the hoilday, maybe the eye grant terms?)
this might help out with staffing and make it more consistent?

ie
if a child is 3 in feb "class" them as not 3 until easter, then class them as 3
dont know if this will work?
hope that this makes sence
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Muggy

Thankyou but I am still stuck!!!!

Thanks, but we take children as soon as they turn 2 years old. We have three members of staff in per day. Currently our numbers are healthy, which is great, but there's 4 third birthdays coming up in May, some of those children attend on different days and the 3+ spaces are full.

i.e. staff ratio is 1:4 for under 3s and 1:8 for over 3s. On a Friday, we currently have 8 under 3s and 8 over 3s! One of the under 3s is turning 3 in May which of course means we will have 9 over 3s meaning we are going over our ratio. And, I was told in no uncertain terms by Ofsted that we could not 'share' one member of staff between age group ratios, they had to be in one or the other, if you know what I mean. Seems daft that you have the same amount of children, but once they hit 3yrs you need another staff member?!?!

I am still just learning this part of the job, they didn't cover any of this lot in the NVQ3!!!!

Am I missing something here?
Is it just me being dippy?
How do other people manage their numbers?

HELP!!!!! :crazy:
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
cybertwin

hmmmm we dont have specific members of staff for unders and overs
i had heard about ofsted not wanting us to share ratiod staff, but if you can prove that what you are doing is best for your setting then they are ok with this.
dont know what the solution would be though, sorry, unless you dont count them as 3 till september, and have a policy to state that if they turn 3 during the term they are still counted in the lower ratio. then you are covered. after all they will be in a lower ratio not a higher one?
sorry i cant be of more help
Unread 04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Muggy

Biggrin Cheers!

No Cybertwin, you have been very helpful. You have got me thinking, I think I'll do it that way... group children into age groups on a termly basis and write it into a policy that ratios are reviewed on a termly basis.

If we ever get pulled up for it, I can just say I was doing it the best way I could and then get them to explain to me how on earth to do it any differently!!!

This is going to make my life so much easier. You have been a great help!

I am feeling all positive again!!!