Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 08-21-2018, 12:51 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

amanda rank is on a distinguished road
SOS EYE8 Please could any one help me

i have two more bits to complete then i have finished my level 3. i just can not put these into words please can someone help me?
- Explain links between formative and Summative assessment to ensure that the teaching and learning is challenging
- Describe the considerations that can be used as part of the planning process to support children to strengthen and deepen their current learning and development
i'm sure i am looking into these way to much.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, these two methods of recording children's development can be remembered by thinkig of them as formative informs and summative sums up.

Formative assessment builds up to create a picture so that that it can be used to create summary, something that is meaningful at that one specific time and which can then itself be used to inform anything that comes next. Like planning activities that challenge a child to explore new ideas and develop their current skills.

page 366 of the EYE handbook looks at formative assessment being different observation methods, learning journeys or daily diaries, post-it notes, checklists.

What does your setting use?

Summative assessment

quote:

It is good practice for all settings to review children's progress based on the observations that have taken place over a period of time. A summative assessment is litteraly a 'summing up' of the child;s progress in the EYFS areas of development. Some earlky years settings will produce summative assessment like report, while others will be less formal. It is good practice for parent to contribute to summative assessments and also for summative assessments to be shared with parents.

Statutory summative assessments
There are two points in the EYFS where there is a requirement for early years practitioners to produce a summative assessment.Check with your setting to see what happens.

EYFS framework on gov

Exemplication materials

For the next criteria -
Describe the considerations that can be used as part of the planning process to support children to strengthen and deepen their current learning and development

What did your tutor say were the considerations? Is this the handbook you were recommended? If yes page 32+ may help.

Considerations may involve your knowledge of how children learn, what their individual needs are, if you are planning for a specific area of learning such as mathematics or physical dvelopment. What the indoor and outdoor areas of the setting look like, what resources are available, if there's enough space, levels of adult supervision, the different methods of observation used to make the planning possible, what children's current interests and stages of development are and what learning you are trying to encourage.

Hth, best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jojo0394 is on a distinguished road

Hiya. im currently stuck on my EYE8 aswell, my mind is exploding from this question.

: explain the link between formative and summative assessment to ensure that the teaching and learning is challenging.

any help would be greatly appreciated
x
Unread 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, they feed into each other, enabling practitioners to support children's development, plan learning opportunities and to identify areas of concern or delay.

The information that formative assessment collects comes from;
  • record of children's progress; learning journal or journey, daily diary, observations
  • contact details
  • accident records
  • administation of medicines
  • register
  • record of children'scare needs
all these come together to enable us to make a summative assessment ie. a snapshot of a child's individual progress, stage of development and learning.

Times when a summative assessment might be made include when planning activities for a child's next steps, to help support a child through a transition, compiling a summative assessment using the formative assessments above so that a parent can have it or take it along to their child's progress check at age 2, to show how a child is doing at a parent's evening and for the EYFS profile.

From page 157 of this EYE handbook

Summative assessment
Most early years settings will also complete a summative assessment every few months as part of children's records. This is like a report that helps parents and practitioners understand children's overall development. When children are moving to other settingss, such as a school or a nursery, a summative assessmetn is uaully passed on, provided that parents have given consent.

Hth
the cost of ad blockers