Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 06-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Contributor

Leegreen is on a distinguished road
SOS Longitude study

Hi I've started my longitude study but I'm stressing so much over it.
I've chosen a 4 year old following PSED. So far carried out a time sample to see where he plays in the setting and if he socially interacts with others. I found he plays with the same friend or by himself. From there I planned a activity where a group of children stood in a circle and took turns to throw a ball to one another. I tried to get them to call the persons name as they did this. This aim was to see if he would take part with others and who he would choose to pass to if I said to pass to someone different each time. Straight away he didn't understand the concept of waiting his turn. This made him lose interest and end up leaving after a short while... Where do I go from here?? I need observation and activity ideas

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Smile

Hi, firstly thank you for your support.

There is detailed information about the longitudinal study in the level 3 handbook page 382+ which offers advice on how to use the observations you make as assessments.

The longitudinal study observes and assesses child development over a planned period of time, so the observation you've posted about provides evidence that, on this occasion the activity was less effective in supporting his focus by only holding his interest for a limited amount of time.

What child development information are you using to match and track the developmental observations you're making against expected stages?

As far as planning activities to support him, find out what his interests are, the places he spends most time in, who he plays alongside with (even if it appears no verbal communication is taking place) Examine your room layout, where the resources are, how they are being used and how they might be used differently. What does he like to do at home, who with and what routines is he familiar with.

Look at your development chart to see where he currently is, look at what the next steps for him might be. Once you have that information let us know and I'm sure members with activity ideas will add on xx

Development matters guidance

Hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers