Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

niggles78 is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend bear

Hello

I'm starting a weekend bear, as part of our circle time and parent partnership, but I'm struggling to put together a nice story to front the book.
Do you have a story explaining the concept?

Thanks
Nikki

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles78 View Post
Hello

I'm starting a weekend bear, as part of our circle time and parent partnership, but I'm struggling to put together a nice story to front the book.
Do you have a story explaining the concept?

Thanks
Nikki
Hi,
How about 'writing' up a letter ( with a picture of him and his case) from the bear starting something like this:

Hi,
My name is 'Biggles' and I've always wanted to travel. I only have a small case so each trip I make can only be a weekend long; but if you are going somewhere nice and you'd like to invite me ( Grandma's, camping, picnic etc) or something you'd like me to enjoy with you ( Birthday, walk or just to spend time with you and your family) I'd love to come. I come with my own camera for you to take a photograph of my adventure.
Please speak to Nikki to check my diary.
love Biggles xx

Perhaps in his small case ( with a label on it) you can have a disposable camera, small sunglasses. a cardigan, small toothbrush and hairbrush.
Then when 'he' is booked out in his diary ( a record of where he is going and with whom) he has his luggage and is all set to go.

You may want to have a spare teddy or two and introduce them as his family (sister, cousin etc) in case the original gets lost. That way, replacements will not seem so alien if you have to use them or the bear may be more popular than you think to start with. If you have 50 children a year is a long time to wait for a turn.

I've just made the bear story up on the spot - so I'm sure you can think of a better one with more time. You can adapt to say either a weekend or a day if it is during the week ( some don't attend everyday and may be having a day out).
You could also add an 'adult' letter to the bear's letter explaining everything you feel you want them to know - such as

please bring the bear back promptly to ensure other children's enjoyment

please take only 2 photographs (maximum) to keep processing costs down

This bear can not be substituted as Biggles has sentimental value to the Pre-school's children

It's sometimes better to get everything sorted out beforehand otherwise there may well be one parent that says, I hope you don't mind, but my child really liked your bear, they've 'created' so I've said they can keep it, but I've bought you another one. Not good for their child's learning and upsetting for all the other children.

I hope the activity/project goes well.
Unread 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

be VERY careful, many settings have abandoned this as it tends to exclude a lot of families and has safeguarding issues. what if they have no money to do anything 'special'? what if they feel the need to match or outdo the previous weeks? how do you ensure the confidentiality of the people in the pics, descriptions etc? a setting near me asked the kids to make a diary for one of their own toys one weekend it was far more inclusive as they didnt have to compete and no SG issues.