Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

dancingfirefly is on a distinguished road
Setting requiring 2 level 3 staff at all times?

We have been informed by our committiee that we now have to have 2 level 3 members of staff on the premises at all times. So we can not have a level 3 and a level 2 working together as we currently do. Apparently this is incase the level 3 has an accident and level 2 will b left alone.
Anyone else heard of this so called new rule?
If this is the case surley we should always have 3 members of staff incase of such an event so we can maintain ratios?

Would like to know your thoughts.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twinthing is on a distinguished road

ummm not sure...at our setting we are all level 3's ...I was a level 2 but was told that my qualification was not relevant and full so I did the level 3 to up skill.......I think most settings are working towards having all staff level 3 and up at all times... x
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:26 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

they are right in terms of good practice but should there be an accident then ofsted will completely understand a cross over whilst it being sorted out. i assume they are going to employ another member of staff and pay for your level2s to up skill? yeah right. they should and that would be my response to them. they employed the L2 when these rules were in order , they haven't changed so it is down to them to make it workable. remember the ratios are the MINIMUM a good setting works to.
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

dancingfirefly is on a distinguished road

we cant afford to pay for another member of staff and keep our level 2 and train up. Im not even sure that they want to do further trainning, but it may be a case of having to or look elsewhere for a job. Merry Christmas everyone!
Our local early years support officer doesnt seem to think this is a rule we have to definatly follow.
We could juggle some staff hours around some days so we have 2 level 3 but it is not always possible.
What if we cant get a member of staff in quick enough to cover if an amalance was required for staff or child, where staff may have to accompany the child. Monitoring children and make phone calls is goin to be hard.
Maybe i have just answered my question?
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

hiya ..... we just had our Ofsted and were told we absolutely did NOT need to have all Level Three,s!!!! We had been told we had to have a level 3 staff in a room at ALL times. Ofsted told us this is not true. BUT the staff must be deemed as competent and meet the safeguarding requirements. ( CRB, First Aid etc). You can check these out on Ofted sites,