Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

bird24 is on a distinguished road
K3M211/K3D216 Please help

hey all

i'm new on here and really needing some help please

The papers i'm completing at the moment are on the knowledge sections listed above but i have certain scenarios that i have to describe who, how and when i refer them to some support and where i refer them to.....these are the scenario's.....

- a baby of 9 months who is underweight and is not eating any meals whilst in your setting??

- a two and a half year old who is having problems with speech and is unable to pronouce certain words

- a six year old who attends a mainstream nursery school and has some destructive tendencies, lacks concentration and can behave inappropriately

I know they are proberly obvious to most but i want to check i'm on the right track before writing it all up as i'm currently on maternity leave and my setting have not been helpful at all since i started my NVQ, i cant ask them anything and i havent dealt with these situations before so need some guidance please

the obvious to me would be this but i know there is probably other things to do first or ways they have to be done that i may not know about....

- (baby) refer mum to health visitor ??? could be teething tho as babies stop eating when teething sometimes, or maybe neglect?

- (two year old) speech therapist (what and how would this be handled?)

- (six year old) possible autism...Senco person? parent meeting?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird24 View Post

I have already checked out those threads but i cant seem to find anything in there that helps. :(

Hi,
I've just used the search box to go back into the link and lifted this for you as they seem to be doing K3M211.

I wouldn't worry about diagnosing any child -i.e. you've put possible autism (he may/may not) but your role is getting help for him ( other qualified professionals will do the diagnosing if needs be) - and for that, if you aren't able to, you liaise/contact with those that are able to help.

So it's basically how do you ( and your setting go about it) have a look in you SEN, inclusion & equality policies. Ask your manager who does she/you contact - does your setting always use the health visitor as a first port of call - as Health visitors look after the care/welfare and developement of a child until 5 years fo age.

If a child has a speech difficulty, I personally go through my health visitor (with parents cooperation), they are able to ascertain immediately if a child needs a speech therapist, then you have to apply directly (with the relevant forms in your setting) or the health visitor will very often get that child seen to quicker. If a parent has a concern and does not want to wait there are monthly speech clinics they can attend and wait to be seen.

If you have an area senco that calls on you regularly, you can ask for their opinion/help (still have to apply wth those forms) and they may push it through. So sometimes you can use different channels - but it depends very much on the child, the severity (is it affecting that child badly in the fact that they are frustrated, agressive etc).

I think you are thinking too deeply about your question, as long as you know when a child needs help from outside agencies and how to get it will be your answer. If you are finding it hard to answer it because you have not had a child with those examples, think of a child your setting has helped. think through the procedures you went through to get that child help, now transfer your method onto the examples in your question.

Whether the baby that was not eating or a child with a speech difficulty/concern you could still go through the health visitor to start with and usually they will then tell you who needs to help them; but for the sake of your questions, you could write the health visitor may ( remember may not will) advise the baby is seen by the doctor who may monitor if they think it is a delayed physical development rather than an emotional concern, if it was emotional the health visitor will be contacting social services etc - she has the authority to do so; but if the doctor was concerned over the eating i.e.it may have a reflux problem, and unable to keep food down, then he may well advise that the baby is seen by a hospital. Your job is to get help from whom ever your setting uses.

Your answer won't be wrong if you know what procedures (from your policies) to follow and the 'other' professionals will do the diagnosing (if needed).

Here is one of the links from the search where someone has supplied possible outside agengies - I hope it helps for part of your question the 211 section.

Educational Psychologists
Health visitor
English as an additional language service
Portage
Support and advisory teacher service
Early years advisor
Doctor who contacts child development centre in hospital.
Speech and language service.
That info is from our senco file

Brandy
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Brandy
#6 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
kerri
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~ Join Date: Jan 2009

K3m211

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is also the CAF (common assessment form) but there has to be 2 services already involved with the child or family before it can be started, this could be the health visitor and ed pysc or any combination.
But you still have to argue the case for the CAF and find a lead person i'll shut up now
kerri

kerri
View Public Profile
Find all posts by kerri
#7 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
wishfulsinger01
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~ Join Date: Dec 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

bird24 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Heidi that was a great help

I think i am worrying to much about the questions and thinking that i am answering them wrong.

I'm on maternity leave at the moment and my setting really arent very helpful as i think they think i'm not going to return after maternity leave so why should they help me....silly really but its very awkward

Thanks again tho i really appreciate the help

:)
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear you are not getting the support that you need.

Yes, sometimes a question is a little easier than you imagine as you try and answer more than they have asked. Try and remember that you personally don't need to know everything but who to ask,where to get help, what procedure to follow - your manager or outside professional (through your manager unless she asked you to do so - as you always share information, unless sensitive) and procedure.
As you are not at work you can write i.e. you refer to your sen/inclusion policy, put your early years action into place ( that's how you go about monitoring, recording and planning and implementing an I.E.P./I.L.P), if you still feel concerned and feel outside help is needed then you put action plus into place and contact your area senco.

Are you able to ask/email your manager and ask if they can email or give you a copy of your policies and procedures? They really will help you as you start off "I follow the......... policy and implement the procedure of .........

I hope this helps.