Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road
Default Sometimes i am amazed

have been covering a year 2 FD class for a few sessions and they know less than my level 2 nvqs!!! Last night had to explain stages of play! i think it is that they are owner managers who have got free places via a grant and have done no other courses at all. Be warned those of you who are thinking about it you need excellent underpinning knowledge there will not be time to cover the basics!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road
Default FD year 2

Hi Tutu,
I am in my first year doing the fd, and i have to say i was pretty surprised at some of the people in my class, regarding experience working with children from early years and primary.
Some come in when they feel like it and there attitude is "as long as we get 40% for each assignment, it doesn't matter", one of them does half a day a week voluntarily and has no experience other than that and struggles with policies, strategies, observations and working in practice in general. How do some of these people get on these courses? I have 10 years working with children from reception to year 6, so I have quite a lot of experience but there is still more to learn and when you have to go in depth with reflection and evaluation you need to have the experience to use in the assignments to show you have the underpinning of knowledge that they are looking for. Are these people just attending these courses because the government is wanting higher level people in jobs with children or letting anyone do it to look as though they are making sure people in charge of children have the experience and knowledge needed? I think it is anyones guess!!!!
regards Portchesterqueen
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

What would you say the average age of them is, it sounds like they aren't really interested and just the title. I get really cheesed off with people like that because some people genuinley want to be there and can't get a place or the funding due to them.
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road

In reply Kathie, I would say the average age in my class is 40yrs of age. Although there are about 3 young ones (young because there in their 20's). The young ones only come in when they can be bothered and are not doing very well, they are not taking it too seriously. About 5 gave up in the first 3 months because of the workload. I agree with you on the point of people who really want it can't get a place, i had to fight for mine!!
Unread 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Wasp

just seen your thread
i hope i don't meet people like you have when i start degree next year
it will really p me off. i am having to work like crazy just to keep in a job that i love don't disappear as i will need all the help i can get not to mention the Maths that i will also be doing
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:23 AM

i think the problem is the funding is so readily available at the moment so the colleges are grabbing the cash. i have been really strict on my interviews this year and put nearly everyone i have interviewed on a course lower than they applied for BUT i can see how it happens there is so much pressure to have a certain number before a class can run people offer places to those who really need to do a academic writing course or even an english course first.
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Wasp

Soapbox

is everywhere the same that by 2010 a member of staff has to have the foundation degree.
I have been given the funding for all of my courses so far and i am enjoying it but as i have said after 25 years do i not know how to do the job.

as with other careers you may have someone with all the qualifications but be absolutely no good at the job is this what the government want
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

By 2015 there has to be someone in the setting with Early Years Practitioner Status and as far as I know, this is the only date that's remaining constant. I believe it's minimum of level 3 now, stated in the EYFS, hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong!
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Wasp

hence why i am doing 4 then the degree no one else wanted to do it
the staff are great but this is still hard work does this mean i will get a pay rise at the end of level 4 :rotfl:
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM

the trouble is when people have done nvqs they seem to think that the FD is the next step , it is BUT it is a completely different sort of learning, it is academic and the essays are a far far higher calibre. they are not reflective that is a none starter they should be analytical and critical. i can always tell when i have a student who has come the nvq route, they find it so hard to write and fail and resit again and again. LAs should really pay for an academic writing course first as it makes all the difference. you cannot pass an FD writing in the same way as an nvq 4 or 5.