Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 02-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road
Smile Foundation Degree

Hi to everyone, have not been able to visit silkysteps for ages as extremely busy with foundation degree, work and family life. I was wondering if anyone else here is actually doing the foundation degree as i don't seem to be able to find anyone? It would be nice if there was, so if anyone out there is also doing the degree, i'm doing mine via southampton university, please let me know your out there!!

here's hoping

Portchesterqueen

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-07-2009, 01:07 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i have about 20 students i mentor doing it and they would love a board too i am sure! maybe we can persuade ruthie to start one up.
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Whoop whoop - yayy foundation degree board

Dear tutu
Very pleased to make your aquaintance
I think your idea is an excellent one, it would help a great deal for those of us doing the degree. Ruthie, if your reading this please could we have a board???

Tutu, maybe you could monitor it and i'll be your wingman...what do you think??

please keep in touch

portchesterqueen
Unread 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, happy to name a new forum if you feel it would be useful, tbh I've always thought the reason we don't read so many questions about the Foundation degree is because of it being college/university based - commitment, attendance & time scales involved and the level of guidance that's able to support.

Let me know ..

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i think with the glf more and more people are doing it pt from work we have 21 in our borough alone! all funded by the council many of who have done the 3 then 4 then the FD.
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:30 PM

The foundation degree i'm doing is based at a college near me but the units are sent from the university. The level 1 is done at the college and then the rest is spent at the university leading up to BA Hons. There are 14 of us currently in my class alone, plus another class further ahead. As "tutu" said i think a lot more people are taking this option as it is funded. I would not have been able to finance this myself, so when i found out the eyfs in my area would pay for it i jumped at the chance.
Unread 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Your lucky if your LA will fund up to BAhons, mine would fund the FD, but then only EYPs - I wanted the full Hons degree so had to self fund that bit!!

I think that there are quite a few people on the forum that have either completed or are studying for the degree, but as questions and queries do not have 'number names' like NVQs it's not always so obvious. But I do think a FD subsection would be good.

Good luck with doing yours portchesterqueen, I loved doing mine and met some good friends along the way.
xxx
Unread 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Hi Cabin,
Lucky you finishing yours, I am enjoying the degree,but it is alot of work, especially with working and family to look after. Time seems to be flying by and all i seem to be doing is working infront of this laptop. What did you do when you finished the degree, teaching?
Your right about the unit numbers, i did not know what these k's and ccld's were but eventually realised after reading some threads. The only thing is when i read the threads most of the questions being asked are not at the same level as the degree so the questions are not as indepth as the degree questions, so a forum that has assignment questions at this level would be more relevant to those of us that are doing the degree, and i'm sure the other members would find them helpful.

I will let you know how i do, still got a while yet!!
regards
portchesterqueen
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bec302 is on a distinguished road

Hiya

I have recently started my Foundation Degree in Early Years through the open university.
I also got funded through the LA and again only to Foundation Degree level

how are we all finding it?

Bec
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Hard Work !!!!!!!

hi bec302

I am only in my 2nd semester, and the work load is getting very heavy. Like most people who are doing this and have done it, the hardest part is getting the time to sit down without being disturbed. Working and family make it quite tough, but I am determined to finish it.
What about you,where are you in yours, and do you have hectic life??
The only critisism i have is the units seem to come along at once instead of being spread out, so you suddenly find yourself with 4 assignments to get done in 4 months, aswell as the main portfolio of 5 assignments equating to 6,000 words to be completed by December, that doesn't inlcude the weekly topics of work we are given, mainly research based, and you find yourself having to use referencing and bibiliographies throughout your work which adds to the pressure.
Still i'm sure it will be worth it. What do you want to do with yours once you've completed??

best of luck with it:reading: