Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

trace_80 is on a distinguished road
Whoop whoop - yayy some advice please

Hi everyone i have just finished my level 3 and it took me 5 months so i am considering doing my level four.I just wanted to know if i do my level four what options it will open up for me so can anyone help i know with three you can supervise but unsure with level 4.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

the nvq pathway is not a continuum. it is for people who are experienced at different levels. you need to go away and get experience as a qualified level 3. you need to be doing the job for an nvq you cant do a placement and you cant manufacture evidence. so you need to be managing people, budgeting etc. don't see nvqs as a tick chart. in fact the level 4 is being stopped on the 1st of august because people were doing it without the experience to back it up and cache have realised that this is producing a mass of people with a lebel 4 and little or no experience at level 3! work, gain experience real experience post qualification.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM

i have been working with children for a few years and dont really understand the different qualifcations this is why i ask i used to do it from home as i am a mum of two i have been in a nursery for a year now.
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace_80 View Post
i have been working with children for a few years and dont really understand the different qualifcations this is why i ask i used to do it from home as i am a mum of two i have been in a nursery for a year now.
I agree with Tutu. Put your qualification into use by practicing it, I have one staff member at a level 4 to step up/cover for myself (EYP) when needed and everyone else is level 3.

They do not need to be level 4 - as it's a totally different qualification - it is more to do with the business side of things. They keep their qualifications current and updated by attending training courses, forums and clusters in-house training and meetings.

My level 3 staff have all been with me for over 5 years and feel that whilst they want to continue their learning about children, they have no desire to do the business/administration side of things.
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM

Thank you for your feedback its appeciated ,eventually i would like to open my own nursery but definately not yet i am enjoying working in a nursery for somebody else and taking the relevant courses. I was thinking of doing level four next year but might leave it longer now.
Thanks again.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace_80 View Post

Thank you for your feedback its appeciated ,eventually i would like to open my own nursery but definately not yet i am enjoying working in a nursery for somebody else and taking the relevant courses. I was thinking of doing level four next year but might leave it longer now.
Thanks again.

I think you are right not to rush it; the more experience you have, the easier it will be - in gaining qualifications; and for any business that you may run in future.
I run one, it is very rewarding but the work never stops, when you are accountable for everything. I have a degree in business and teaching, but it is the sheer volume of everything that is required, quality of provision, staff to recruit, train, welfare, accounts, admin, salaries, sustainability that is ongoing.

I don't want to put you off with how much it costs to own and run a nursery, but you need to as much training/qualifications behind you - so that you can role model for your staff and inspire them to continue to train/learn and if you can do as much of the business side as you can it will save you a fortune on hiring a business manager, accountant etc.

It's not impossible, but lots of serious saving and studying.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Thank you for your feedback its been really helpful.