Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Angel 24 is on a distinguished road
Default Help and Advice

Hope to hear from anyone that can offer me any help and advice.
I currently work in a pre school but not been there long and am finding it hard to get my head around the paperwork.
I have 16 key children each having their own file. I have sticky notes that go into the 6 different areas. This is fine and I understand how to do that.
We then have to mark off things that the children have achieved and do individual planning for each term with them. Does anyone else do this? I find this really difficult to do and wondered if anyone else finds this difficult. I have had support from the deputy but feel like I am getting frustasted as can't get my head around what to do. I don't want to come across thick and keep asking for help from her as she isn't the most aproachable person and think she feels like I should know what I'm doing.

Hope anyone can shed some light on these files and wonder if they are the same in other pre schools.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

At my setting we have a rota of children we focus on to plan specifically on. I currently have 18 key children. I look at a point in the EYFS which could be extended or developed further and will a plan an activity to try and cover that. Of course sticky notes and other obs are done continually still. e.g child A is still struggling to match quantity with numbers. So i might plan an activity for a day that he is in that will help to develop that skill in a fun way and then observe and record how the activity goes. It does sound complicated but once you get into the routine it becomes easier. Our job sometimes does seem to be weighed down with endless paperwork though
Unread 02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

can i ask out of interest why you have so many key children? are there not other staff who can be doing a share?
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road

How many key children do people have? and when are you assigned key children?

Im just at the end of my NVQ Level 2 and have been woking in my setting for a year. Im am currently being assigned key children, i think this is quite quick and alot of responsibility as being a key worker means i will have the east sussex developemnt reports and individual plans to be learning how to do. I will be assigned 15 key children.
Is this an average number? and at an average stage to becoming a key worker?
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM

ray is on a distinguished road

We have 36 children in total on our register. Only two of us are qualified so we have 18 key children each. Several of whom have English as a second language and several others who have other additional needs...
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

woodsy53 is on a distinguished road

In my setting their are 7 of us and we each are key workers to between 3 and 5 children. This is demanding enough so the amount that you all have scares me!!! all that paper work and files to keep up to date with arrrgh!!
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

We have 8 staff, each with 6-8 key children.