Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rachelt1980 is on a distinguished road
Default Approaching bosses to make changes

I have just qualified CYPW Level 3 but have over 15 years experience working with children and young people including those with additional needs, in various settings i.e. educational, childcare & domestic.
As i have just qualified, i have been very lucky and got the first job i applied for, in a nursery 0-5 years. This role is the first time i've worked in a nursery setting.
I'm really struggling with the 'routine', provision and planning within my room (age 1-2)- it all seems so chaotic most of the time. Is this due to their age ?????? I can't help thinking it's due to the provdion. I had a team meeting the other week and made a suggestion that the children needed more time for physical play as all they do is climb on tables, chairs, in home-corner equipment etc..... therefore they are told to stop climbing. I was pleased with the response i got and that night the manager went and bought lots f soft play equipment. Perfect! However it ALL got put out the day of delivery and two-three weeks later it is now in the storage cupboard. Much of the provision is the same- plenty of drawers full of sensory, construction and small world resources but not much effective provision. Hardly any books, NO ACCESSIBLE creative resources (pens, crayons, paper, chalks, paint, glue etc is all basic and stored out of reach). Is this normal for this age group??????? We have a white board on the wall but is barely used as the children dont have access to any dry wipe pens. Chalk boards outside but no access to chalk unless a staff member remembers to take it out and spend time with them.
I find myself feeling bored and frustrated and i'm also convinced that is why the children do nothing but ransack all the drawers and boxes. But i can't figure out of it is because i am 'fresh full of idea's' from studying my qual or that the environments aren't working?????
My room leader isn't approachable (very moody, bossy,passive aggressive, on a power trip etc) and I REALLY dont want to be go into my new job like 'a bull in a china shop' and upset people or criticise.
What is the best way to approach this???? How long do i wait till i mention it or how do i go about it?????? I've just got allocated Key children so i'm hoping i can incorporate my ideas into the planning and provision.

Any help or suggestions would be useful if you have experienced similar. My last place of work was soooo the oposite to this!

Thanks for reading my rant x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi sounds like you're ready for level 5! the handbook contains a section on communication & effective team working that might help as you're already aware of the risks a gung-ho approach can carry xx The idea with planning activities for your key children is excellent :)

It might be understandable why some resources are less accessible for this age group if a recommended age and greater level of supervision is required, you might also find that a nursery setting has a more 'school ready - sit & listen' ethos & routine?

You mention that the meeting went well, this could be the avenue to use frequently & hear everyone's ideas and to pass on your own, maybe raise awareness of the locomotive stage of development for 1 & 2 yr olds and ask what issues there are when thinking about using the new soft play equipment & going outside?

What does it mean to be one - Jennie Lindon and getting it right for two year olds - Penny Tassoni on amazon

Hth, let us know how it all goes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rachelt1980 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply. The outdoor area isn't really an option, it's small and already filled with sand tray, small slide, play house and a gazebo (for shade). There needs to be room for crawlers too.
Interestingly another staff member made a complaint about said room leader yesterday, so i feel better that is isn't just me that's having difficulties. Another also handed in their resignation this week. The business is still finding it's feet, only been open 18 months. I Thanks for your idea's, i will have a read of the info you have recommended and take it from there. Out of interest, could i go on to do Level 5 straight after Level 3????
Unread 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, your professional development can take a few pathways from level 3. You'll find experience and current workplace responsibilities will guide recommendations. If possible contact a local university or college to see if level 5, foundation degree or if in England the new EYE course would be good xx

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers