Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jenmaz2468 is on a distinguished road
Default CYP 3.4 Children Assess & Manage Risk??

I need to give an example from own practice of supporting children or young people to assess and manage risk???

Not sure where to start???

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-04-2013, 05:10 PM

LKP is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Providing that you carry out regular risk assessments for the settings environment and there is not immediate or potential hazards/danger for the children, how do you then support the children to assess their own risks? For example, in my setting, we regularly tell children not to run on the grass when wet. As we know there is nothing that can harm the children, such as sharps, litter, animal droppings etc. Of course, we explain why we don't think they should run on the wet grass but letting them manage their own risks supports them to make decisions regarding their own safety and well being. And of course, some children want to make their own minds up about this and will soon run on the wet grass. But as long as we are there to supervise them and support them if anything was to happen, we are therefore supporting children and young people to manage their own risks within a secure environment.
Here we are not wrapping children up in cotton wool, as some call it, but helping them develop and build up a sense of awareness when taking and managing risks.
Of course, depending on the setting you are in and the children you car for, the level of support may differ, for example, if you have children with learning difficulties, as they may not be able to fully understand the dangers as other children do.

Hope this gives a little insight to the question
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM

tracey44 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I wonder if you could give me some info on this level 3 course. I have a book but I am un sure what to start reading first. Could you let me know if there is any order or what to start reading up on. Many thanks
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kerry-lou is on a distinguished road

tracey44 i would only read it as you work your way through the course. for example if doing unit SHC31, then just read that bit of the book x
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Kerry-lou thanks, just a bit worried. How long you been on this course an how are you finding it? Tracey 44
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kerry-lou is on a distinguished road

ive been doing the course for about 8 months and i must admit i have struggled. i was told it was a 2 yr course so ive took my time with my folder work and not long ago i was told my completion date was june 2013! if you need any help please ask and ill try my best x
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you, wow you have done well. Half the time well done you. x I will ask for help if that's ok
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM

sarah8lou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey44 View Post
Kerry-lou thanks, just a bit worried. How long you been on this course an how are you finding it? Tracey 44
Hi, sorry to butt in , just thought you may want another perspective too.

I am 29, I have no previous childcare experience, apart from my daughter, doing the adult course 1 eve a week, whilst working 3 days in pre-school. It is the two year CACHE CYPW 3 course crammed into one year, so full on, however,
I started it in September 2012, and due to finish next month. So thats eight months it will have taken me.

This is keeping up with all working, handing in each unit the following week ! I have spent many late evenings, and all day sessions on my computer to get the work in, but I was determined not to fall behind. I know others have struggled, but they do have longer to complete if they need it.

If you are doing the two year course in one year it is full on, and I think that is what my college failed to tell a lot of people. If you can put in the hours, then you can complete on time, even early if you work hard.
Just take each unit as it comes, get ya head down and crack on.

I found this and this helped lots!!!

As Kerry-lou has said this place is great for help.

Good luck
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM

jenmaz2468 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKP View Post
Hi,

Providing that you carry out regular risk assessments for the settings environment and there is not immediate or potential hazards/danger for the children, how do you then support the children to assess their own risks? For example, in my setting, we regularly tell children not to run on the grass when wet. As we know there is nothing that can harm the children, such as sharps, litter, animal droppings etc. Of course, we explain why we don't think they should run on the wet grass but letting them manage their own risks supports them to make decisions regarding their own safety and well being. And of course, some children want to make their own minds up about this and will soon run on the wet grass. But as long as we are there to supervise them and support them if anything was to happen, we are therefore supporting children and young people to manage their own risks within a secure environment.
Here we are not wrapping children up in cotton wool, as some call it, but helping them develop and build up a sense of awareness when taking and managing risks.
Of course, depending on the setting you are in and the children you car for, the level of support may differ, for example, if you have children with learning difficulties, as they may not be able to fully understand the dangers as other children do.

Hope this gives a little insight to the question

Many thanks, thats pointed me right direction :-)
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Hi Sarah8lou thanks for your input, you must of worked really hard to complete in 8 months well done. I just hope I can put in the hours as I work every day from 8.30-4.30 in a nursery then I have to come home and take care of 2 teenagers and hubby. It is so nice talking to people on this site everyone is so supportive. Thanks again x