Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Default Checking Childminder details

Can anyone point me in the right direction ...

I've just come back from ofsted.gov.uk after trying to clarify that the business card that came through the door a few days ago was legitimate.

It stated on the card they were ofsted registered and I don't doubt it for a second ... but ... wanted to check officially before contacting them directly.

However it seems due to 'confidentiality I can't

Shocked & stunned ..

I understand about not publishing personally identifying information but there must be a way that prospective customers/parents can check registration details online .. quickly & easily ?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Checking childminder details

Hi Ruthierhyme,
If the information you were looking for was local you could contact;

Darlington Children's Information Service

Tel: 0800 917 2121

Im not 100% sure but i think they will have a record of locally registered childminders they may be able to help you??
Unread 01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jo, it just seems like another blow to childminders really if I wanted to contact anyone in an emergency I couldn't check on details officially and quickly .. I didn't think I was using the ofsted site properly as I really thought they'd give parents access to information like this !?

Preschool etc reports are used as a reliable source of information and are probably the first port of call for house/school moves ~ thought minders would be treated with the same level of importance ... off for a coffee lol

Ruth
xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Muggy

Default Hmmm

I have looked on the Ofsted website myself for childminders.

Registered childminders inspection reports can be seen on there, but they only are only listed by registration (EY) number, not by name. I was told, a childminders details weren't published by Ofsted, as it placed the childminder and the mindees at risk, as if someone knew you were looking after children, on your own, at a certain address, you would be more vulnerable than a school, for example, who would always have more than one adult on the premises at the time in case of any problem.

So if you don't have the registration number, then I don't see how you can read a childminders report. You can do a search by postcode, but of course there may be more than childminder in that area!!

AND, if a childminder is registered, and hasn't had their first official registration yet (which would normally be in the first six months I think), their details won't be listed either.

If you ring Ofsted, and you already have the name and address of the childminder, they should really provide you with the childminders registration number so that you can read their inspection report, don't you agree? After all, the registration number is not confidential, they publish that!!

Will the local childrens information service be able to provide you with the childminders registration number?

Hmmmmm...
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Thanks Muggy .. Having re checked on the ofsted website, I have a funny feeling there may be an issue with my postcode

Recieved a lovely email in reponse to some queries I sent in and omitting personally identifying data was as a result of a wide scale survey.

I'll make a new thread with a link to how to search for a Childminder

As for advertising I think if a childminder were to include their URN on any leaflets / cards etc parents will be able to find the details quickly through the ofsted site .... I'm off to practice ..lol
the cost of ad blockers