Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Piglet101

Biggrin Observations and photos?

Hi, I am due to finish my nvq2 next month (not long now!) and the nursery have asked me if I would like to do my NVQ3 there. (I think they may miss me if I leave) so i told them i would think about it. anyway, the question is, is it OK to carry on writing observations on every child that I see doing something that they normally do, or is it a good idea to follow the planning for that fortnight? i haven't asked anyone at the nursery and no-one has mentioned it to me? and the same with the photos? or do you think that they might feel as though they are getting overworked with them all?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you should work for a year before doing your level 3, cache recommends and you need to embed your learning BUT eyfs says observe significant events not just because they do something. the observations should shape the planning. also a photo is an observation just make sure you note time and date.
Unread 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Piglet101

Thankyou. i started in the nursery a couple of months before I started my NVQ, and at the end of August, i will have been there a year. I have been taking photos of the children, and the observations tend to be them doing something that they haven't been seen doing before, like walking or sharing. It just isn't always the children put on the planning, which is normally done every fortnight. A lot of the children are going up to the over threes in september, so we will have lots of new children to write observations on soon. I feel as though I haven't been in the up to threes recently, as I keep being asked to cover in the over 3's. Another question is, is it OK for me to be left in a room with a handful of children by myself? i know that there is always a member of staff close by and thaty they can see what i'm doing, but it is only a couple of weeks away from finishing. Also, does having a nvq2 mean that i can actually be left on my own with children, or will i still need a member of staff with me?