Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 10-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

playassist is on a distinguished road
General question first steps

I work in baby room in a private school and have a child that was starting to take half steps and is now taking up to 3 steps. As his mum works in the department with us I mentioned it to her but another member of staff commented that generally the parents aren't told that their child is walking in the nursery until they mention it in case the child isn't walking at home.

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this and what the practice is in your setting as I haven't heard of this being a potential issue (although i can see how it could be) but I don't think that its something that should be 'kept back'

thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

SamHill is on a distinguished road

From a parental point of view ... my son was with a childminder from about 4 months old til 3. As far as I am concerned, he took his first steps at home, said his first words at home etc. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I really appreciated that my CM let me have the 'firsts', I think it showed great sensitivity on her part, of course maybe he actually did have his firsts at home and she wasn't being sensitive at all, LOL!

Just my point of view of course, the setting I am in is from 2 years, so don't have that issue, particularly!
Sam
Unread 10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i think the overwhelming sensitivity should be for the parent. samhills reply is spot on i doubt there are many parents who disagree. my question would be why do you think you need to tell them, playassist? for your reasons? be nice, keep quiet nd be thrilled when a day or two later they come in excited and thrilled. your tick chart isnt important here.