Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kandyflip is on a distinguished road
Default Is it illegal to insist a babysitter or childminder is female?

Hi,
I'm posting this because of something that happened at work today. I'm from the UK, so would be covered by UK law. Any ideas?

Thanks....

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi and welcome to the site.

Quote:
It is unlawful to discriminate against workers because of their gender.
s e x discrimation act and the new Equality act 2010

Hth, enjoy Silkysteps xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kandyflip is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your warm welcome and your answer! I was aware of the 5ex Discrimination Act - is there anything to suggest a babysitting job within the parents' own home could be exempt? When I've looked it up I couldn't find anything to suggest that.

I ask all this because I got turned down for a babysitting job by my agency recently because the parents insisted that the babysitter was female, whereas I am male. If you have any advice on what I should consider doing next, that would be great.

The agency itself, and the people behind it, are great and I'm really enjoying the work - I have no desire to get on their wrong side while at the same time as being committed to standing up for anti-discriminatory practice. They said when I started that I may get less jobs than others as some parents may be reluctant on hiring a male babysitter. At the time, I said I was well up for the challenge of being able to change those parents' minds - and I am. However, it occurred to me when I got declined recently that the parents, and the agency, inadvertently may be operating outside the law.
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyflip View Post
Thank you for your warm welcome and your answer! I was aware of the 5ex Discrimination Act - is there anything to suggest a babysitting job within the parents' own home could be exempt? When I've looked it up I couldn't find anything to suggest that.

I ask all this because I got turned down for a babysitting job by my agency recently because the parents insisted that the babysitter was female, whereas I am male. If you have any advice on what I should consider doing next, that would be great.

The agency itself, and the people behind it, are great and I'm really enjoying the work - I have no desire to get on their wrong side while at the same time as being committed to standing up for anti-discriminatory practice. They said when I started that I may get less jobs than others as some parents may be reluctant on hiring a male babysitter. At the time, I said I was well up for the challenge of being able to change those parents' minds - and I am. However, it occurred to me when I got declined recently that the parents, and the agency, inadvertently may be operating outside the law.

I agree that legislation is put into place for work, and the agency must work within the law; however there is such a thing as personal choice (whether we agree or not) and parents can choose who they wish to have in their home just as I like to choose who is going to cut my hair when attending the hairdressers (and I do have preferences).

I have read (in a national newspaper this year) of some families insisting only on male child care as they feel their children prefer a male who (they say) willing plays football and rough and tumble with them. They spoke highly of male child care and felt they were not driscriminating against females but choosing (and paying for a service) who they felt was best for their child.

If the agency is acting on behalf of their clients, they are only doing what they have been asked to do; if you feel they do not offer your services and you have reason to believe it is because you are a male, then this is a different matter.
Have you spoken to them of your concern?
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I agree selection processes are indeed quite unique and proving any discrimination could be bumpy ground. If the ad was made and the agency were aware that only female applicants would be successful then their practice may well be questionable. I'd be concerned with the fact that you were able to apply and were rejected with that particular explanation - it shows a mis-placed honesty on behalf of the agency maybe as they should be able to equally support you & the cause for anti-discriminatory employment.

Wanting to keep your relationship on an even keel & help parents understand both genders can care equally for children, do you think the agency would be interested in campaign awareness & leaflet/information distribution to clients that promoted your services or male sitter services in general, safeguarding procedures, registered certificates/crb's or activities you offer to meet famillies prior to an arranged babysitting date?

As suggested discussing your concerns with them is a good way to go

Best wishes with it xx
the cost of ad blockers