Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

abg is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Need advice, please

I've been working for 2 years and a bit with my nursery. I feel burnt out, uninspired and unmotivated. I like the children that attend the nursery, but, our management and many fellow staff members have personalities which I find challenging to work with/around, as they're rather clique-y with each other. Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm a very quiet person in nature, and am slow to attach to people at first, but, once I feel safe around the people I'm with, I do open up a lot, and like to collaborate and work with others. I feel that I am a creative person, but, some how my creativity gets "lost in translation", and I end up seeming odd/weird.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Sorry to here you feel like this. Maybe time to look for a new job?
Going to work should be enjoyable- and the children around you will 'pick-up' on how you are feeling. You possibly spend more time at work than you do with your own family (when you take into account sleeping etc!!!) so it's very important to find an environment that suits you and your personality. There are some very nice nurseries out there- and some not so nice :(.
Hope you sort this out, feeling alone in a workplace is a very very lonely place to be :(.
Take-care. xx
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi & hugs, I echo cabin's reply xx it can be very intimidating to see a group of people you know you're meant to fit in with but struggle to find common ground. For the benefit of the children and the setting itself is there any way you'd feel a little more involved? Is there a colleague in particular that you think would be open to hearing how you feel?

Maybe it would help if you made & professional development action plan to see if your ideas can be heard?

Maybe produce a few activity examples that you've linked to the children's interests, & areas of learning if appropriate - for suggesting at a planning meeting?
Loan storybooks from a library to support children's interests, take one in that you think, or that a child has indicated they'd enjoy and share it with them as an improvisation.
Research some recipe ideas for the children and for you to enjoy?

If this still fails to make you feel listened to/part of the team maybe look for another placement, a voluntary position or even somewhere where you could be a guest 'creative' will help you compare the services available locally.

Confidence comes from knowing what you're doing, why your doing it, how it's done in a single setting and what suggestions are being made to you/the setting from external sources. Safeguarding children with robust policy & procedure will help you see how professional you are being xx

Let us know how it goes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

abg is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice,please

Thank you ladies!
I had a really, really good day today. I was with the 2.5-3year old group. I was myself. Upbeat, chipper, happy, creative. And it was a "full day"-7.30am-6.30pm as well! I also had a chat with the toddler room leader, and she's given me 3 key children, with more as they come up from the baby room.

I've seen lots of brilliant ideas on the forum, and from your replies, and I thank you for them.

Today has inspired me to finish off loads of my NVQ3 coursework, and study for my driver's theory test as well. Once I can drive, I hope to do more courses, and broaden my horizons.

Ultimately, I want to work with special needs children, possibly within a Montessori based nursery.

There is hope. Things will get better. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for listening.