Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

hai-stay is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Unit 3 - 3.3 - A10 - Bullying - Task 3

Hi everyone.

I'm a little stuck on this task. It's a case study and it says:

Ansa is the nursery manager of a small rural setting that has strong community links. A traveller group has settled in a field on the outskirts of the village and local residents are petitioning for them to be moved on. Ella is nearly five and is the daughter of one of the traveller families. Within the first week that Ella joins the nursery, Ansa is aware that she is being excluded from activities and the children are displaying hostility towards her. She overhears one child say to Ella "go away, we don’t want you here. My mummy says we mustn't talk to you". Ella bursts into tears and hides in the book corner.

Q1: What should Ansa do to resolve the situation?
Q2: How can Ansa support Ella and her family?

For the first question I was going to put things like:
* Talk to the children, explain that we are all friends in the nursery.
* Talk to the child's parents about what was said to Ella.
* Group activities to involve Ella with other children.

Do they sound okay? Are they resolving the situation though?

The second question I have no idea what to put...

Someone please point me in the right direction!! ARGH

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM

AngieC95 is on a distinguished road

Hi...I would also say something to do with following the school's anti-bullying policy for guidelines on how to support a child and their family, reassure them, and work alongside them to manage the situation. Build on self esteem with the child etc etc...hope this helps...good luck :)
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

LKP is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Ansa could also plan activities to support the recent events and look at diversity. Ella is new to the setting, what activities could be there to support her into the setting but also ensure the other children are supported to understand their is no right and wrong when to comes to cultures, background etc.
There may be books, movies, role playing to subtly teach children the importance of inclusion and being aware of others feelings.
Open door policies may help for families to come into the setting to see their children in the nurseries care. This can support Ella and her family, but also help Ansa in identifying if there needs to be improvements/reviews to how the run/plan activities to ensure this doesn't happen again. The family can have their input into this then and if Ansa wants to do an activity about different backgrounds and lifestyles, they can offer their input and shows active participation.
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Hi Angie

Thanks for your help :)

It's bugging me on the second question. I want to say something about help that could be given to the traveller parents regarding the petition that the community are doing to make them move on... But I don't know if there could be any help? Hmmmm...

Do you think it would be okay for Ansa to write a letter to all parents/carers reminding them of the anit-bullying policy? Or do you think it could cause more harm than good (for example, it could make the traveller family feel like they're being put on show.. If that makes sense?). I normally like doing the case studies, but this has stumped me!

Stacey
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Hi!

Wow, thanks for that!! After reading that a couple of times, I think I have got an idea what to put for the second question! I'm going to leave it for a bit then come back with a 'fresh' head so to speak.

Thank you to both of you for your help

Stacey
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM

welcome! :)
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

LKP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai-stay View Post
Hi Angie

Thanks for your help :)

It's bugging me on the second question. I want to say something about help that could be given to the traveller parents regarding the petition that the community are doing to make them move on... But I don't know if there could be any help? Hmmmm...
Hi,
I would just say that the children in Ansa's care is priority, not the dispute with the other families. It could say a lot that the family is sending Ella to a nursery means a lot to begin with. Base the support and care that she is going to be providing around the child as she is the child care professional ensuring Ella's welfare and development is key.

Unread 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM

not entirely sure if this would help?
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...ail/Page1/RW77

probably not now I have read it lol..sorry ;)
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, sounds good

Maybe edit the words so that you'd be talking to children's parents making sure all sides are informed.

It is resolving discrimination within the setting :) you're providing information & guidance to the children that challenges the viewpoints causing them to react negatively to Ella. Children will be reassured to know that you'd be talking to parents so that they don't feel they're disobeying or going against the wishes of their parents. It may also help to diffuse a little of the conflict that parents have as you'd offering ways that shows cultural difference & diversity is valued and that it's possible to overcome & resolve conflict.

The right to be safe, free from harm, abuse and unacceptable risk is something we are all entitled to.

Q2: How can Ansa support Ella and her family?

If the setting does have strong community links it will know what services exist to help traveller famillies, individual children and the communities with outreach, if they find themselves facing discimination, ensure access to education and have contact details for useful groups that operate locally.

Identifying why parents object to the cultural differences is key to opening up dialogue about concerns. It's these reasonings that you as a professional would need to have your own ideas about.

eg.
See how police deal with criminal activity
Local councils with eg. refuge collection, traveller land use and site locations, pest control, roads, stray animals
Social services with care standards and abuse
NSPCC offer help to children who feel vulnerable or at risk and adults who are concerned at children's safety and welfare.
RSPCA with animal welfare

As to the petition it is a group's and individual's right to protest and petition who they want. It is the reasons why a petition is being organised that will determine its level of success or failure. Google - petition against travellers
Supporting children and a family through the turmoil of public feeling can be through your understanding and respect of how we each have the right to choose how we live our lives.

Settings can ask parents to be more involved with them and their child's learning - maybe by sharing resources such as books from home & the setting, toys and information about events & traditions

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/artic...nd-gypsies.htm

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/k...ving-together/

http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/pr...er_communities

http://www.gypsy-traveller.org/

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Hi Ruthierhyme!

Thank you so much for your help!
It gave me a lot of food for thought and I managed to complete it last night!

You are a star