Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Hezz200 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Feel so bad sometimes

Hi, my name is heather and im new here. Im 17 and i have a 4 month old baby boy.

I am currently studying level 3 childcare and education and at the moment i am so busy catching up with coursework that sometimes i hardly spend time with my son. And when i do i dont want to leave him and do my course, sometime i really do feel like giving the course up. How can i get the right balance between college work and being a mummy??

Thanks
x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya and welcome, it's so important to know the support networks that you have around you, friends, family, college and any work placement. Your son will love you for being you don't feel guilty. Having been in a similar situation can only suggest to try and be sensible with the time you have .. enjoy your baby he's at a fab age, but look after yourself as well xx

Have you spoken with your tutor, explained your situation and asked if they can help schedule a timetable that will help, evenings maybe if your little one is less adventurous at that time of day?

*This is a personal ask, please don't answer if you feel its rude, but was wondering if anyone suggested the CCLD NVQ lv2 as a career start or if you've already completed this level?
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-19-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: *ask about LV2
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM

I know what u mean hun

and no i went straight on to the level 3 because i got enough GCSE'S to do so. The reason i am so behind is i had some time off to have aidan. And when i went back i was so far behind but everyone is telling me i can do it but i just feel like ive got to far behind and i cant do the courework cos im so far behind
My full course name is CACHE level 3 diploma in childcare and education
x
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

SomeoneSpecial is on a distinguished road

hezz i did that course so if you need a hand to catch up pm me for my msn and ill help you over that its quicker! congrats on your little boy. think of how the things you learn on the course will make you an even better mom/more confident and how it will lead to better things-job oppertunities etc which in turn will make you happy and therefore your son happy also. you have nothing to feel guilty about he wont remember his time with you now, so love and some attention is enough. try also telling him a story while your doing your work. I work with twins and when im trying to clean up or something i tell them we're going on a bear hunt while i tidy that way they are happy and im free to do what needs doing.

hope this helps. use what works best for you, maybe your little one can have a few hours playing with grandma while you work?

good luck with everything
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneSpecial View Post
hezz i did that course so if you need a hand to catch up pm me for my msn and ill help you over that its quicker! congrats on your little boy. think of how the things you learn on the course will make you an even better mom/more confident and how it will lead to better things-job oppertunities etc which in turn will make you happy and therefore your son happy also. you have nothing to feel guilty about he wont remember his time with you now, so love and some attention is enough. try also telling him a story while your doing your work. I work with twins and when im trying to clean up or something i tell them we're going on a bear hunt while i tidy that way they are happy and im free to do what needs doing.

hope this helps. use what works best for you, maybe your little one can have a few hours playing with grandma while you work?

good luck with everything
Thanks hun
x
Unread 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

janeb is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say 'Well done Hezz' - it's great that you're continuing with your education aswell as being a mother. I hope that doesn't sound patronising - I really think it's great.

Make sure you give time for yourself though - Aidan needs a healthy mum, not a stressed out one!:fever:

He's at a great age and will be happy with a smile from you and a 'sing-song' voice - it won't actually matter what you're saying, so you can be discussing your coursework with him. Babies love to 'turn-take' and respond to your smiles - that will be great for him while you're busy. Then, when you need a break from work, play with him - that will be great for you!

As he grows up, he will be grateful that you took the time to secure a good future for him - and will look up to you as a great role-model.

You go girl!!
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I agree with janeb things may seem hard but keep looking to the future for the both of you, I was also a young mum and didn't have the guts to go carry on with my qualifications and went back to college at 36!!!!!!!! wishing i had the strength back then because it was something i always wanted to do,i qualified and now i am preschool leader so the sky is the limit for you. With a good support network you can do it Good luck, this site is fab and there is always someone to help or listen