Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 11-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Muggy

Default New Birth To Five Profile

Did you know there will be a new profile due to be published by Easter 2007, and rolled out in 2008 that will combine the 'Birth to Three Matters' and the 'Foundation Stage Profile'? Yup!

After disucssions with some colleagues only today, apparently the plans for even further into the future include combining the new 'BIRTH TO FIVE' with the Key stage one curriculum. I think its a good thing. What do you think?

My experience of Birth to Three courses is that they are long and laborious for what you get out of them (or is that just my area?!?!) Our deputy has done the course, and I am in no great hurry myself. I am holding out for training on the new profile as and when it arrives.

(Is this in the right bit!)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

If anything concerns me about this - it's the thickness of the 'what to do & how to do it' manual lol

I think a course as intensive as Birth to Five + KS1 could be - may put off a lot of prospective child carers .. as we are talking a HUGE range of developmental stages, changes, goals, aims etc .. & let's face it if you have to profile it .. you need to know what to profile how long do Early Years teachers train to obtain their Certs !!

Hopefully it won't be another scenario of those that have gained experience via hands on, will again be put upon to train up or ship out ...

Ooo feeling a touch negative tonight lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:11 AM
cybertwin

i think it will be ok, as long as we get enough guidance. at the moment the fs curriculum is very subjective, one person could say a child has reached a stepping stone, and another could say they havent, but they are looking a the same child doing the same thing.
all along we have been asking for proper trianing, more specific guidance etc. so hopefully we will get it this time!!
wait and see i guess

i am still getting to grips with birth to three, as have inly just reduced age to 2y9m!! all change again!!