Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Crystal Bathing

Default kindergarden charges?

Please help?! Just taken my little boy back to kindergarden (playgroup) today after being very ill last week, & i've just been told that i have to pay for him while he's been off! Is this normal? I did ring them to inform them of his absence. Aparently this is also the case when we go on holiday, is this the norm? (he goes 3 mornings per week)
Would appeciate any advice.

Thanks loads!

Elaine

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

When I was looking into preschool options for my littlee, this was a standard part of every brochure. I suppose that the places wouldn't survive if they didn't have a guaranteed income! Sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news! :sorry:
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Yes, you have to pay when they are off. DD has just missed two sessions as she had chicken pox so that cost me £28 then DS had it so missed five sessions (his is less per session as he is over three). It was expensive for childcare yet I was stuck at home with them.
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Crystal Bathing

Thanks for the advice; at least i now know that it's not just the one he goes to. I'll have to get my purse at the ready tomorrow.
Cheers!
Elaine
Unread 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM
cybertwin

we charge when people are off, even if we know as the staff are rostered to work and i cannot turn around to them and say you are not needed.

dont know of anywhere that does not charge when kids are ill, or on hoilday
Unread 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suewhit is on a distinguished road

we also charge , years ago we didnt charge for illness or holidays it was really amazing how many times chidren could be ill or go on holiday. For a small set up it is necessary.
sue
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

We always charged as well .. some parents simply didn't come in if they didn't want to and would say the children were ill as the reason, we had to get tough on policy & whilst that's not the case here, income/outgoing is so tight for the smaller groups they can't afford to let spaces go free for any reasons
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, we also charge for holidays and child illness, this is because we have to keep the child's space still free. However parents are informed this on registration, we are also closed for 5 weeks of the year and this is not charged so we encourage parents to use these weeks for taking holidays. We also have a nits policy where parents are asked not to bring their children into nursery if they have nits but if this is the case we do try to offer a free session subject to availiabilty.
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

We too charge for illness and holidays for the same reasons as all settings - viability.
Just as other settings, staff, rent and other costs have to be paid. That place/space is given to a child for their use whilst registered at the setting.

Once they are eligible for vouchers both the parent and setting does not lose out. We only charge for when we are open - term time. This is explained to parents when their child starts; it is also in our literature and the parent/setting contract.

Last edited by Heidi : 10-25-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added a missing word.
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Julie A is on a distinguished road

Hi

Where I work, parents are charged for all the sessions that they have registered for. We ask for the fees in advance for the half term. Staff, rent etc still has to be paid whether your child turns up or not.

Unfortunately, if your child is ill or you decide not to send them in that day, the session still has to be paid for.