Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Lyndsay TinyTalk

Baby Signing

Hiya all,
Does anyone have any experience of signing whilst their little one is/was growing up?
Does anyone go to any baby signing classes?
What are your views on baby signing?
Look forward to your replies,
Lyndsay x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

joshie is on a distinguished road

I have done some baby signing in the past, and think its quite cute. I love the way it fits into action songs etc, but not really bothered about using the signs such as 'milk' as i think i know my baby well enough to know what he wants, but i do love it, i know that someone on this site does it X
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Lyndsay TinyTalk

I love baby signing. I used to work in a day nursery, and the toddlers there (and older ones) used to love it, and picked it up so easily, it amazed me. Not only have they acquired another language to aid communication between baby and the world, they are bridging that gap between the deaf and hearing community.

And not to forget - its fun!

Has anyone else had any experience of signing with their little one?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Lyndsay x
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

I taught my daughter some signing, but only what I learned from 'Something Special' on telly and bits that a friend had taught me. We have great fun signing to loads of songs (DD is almost 3) and I make her sign every colour on an almost daily basis. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm considering going to classes myself.
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Lyndsay TinyTalk

Hi Miss Muffet!
Thats brilliant news! Its so easy to pick up isnt it? And so useful!
Brilliant to use when your children are in a loud playgroup....school hall....school disco....or any loud place where its hard for your child to concentrate on what you are saying - using signs gives the child visual clues to what you are trying to communicate with them! Excellent! :)