Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

cward is on a distinguished road
Whoop whoop - yayy K3c317 : Demonstrate empathy and understanding to Children

this i s my last question in unit 308, and i am stuck big time,

how you demonstrate empathy and understanding to children,including the language and expressions you might use

pleeeesssse can someone help me finish this unit , really want to move on

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Dingledel is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help please? I am stuck on this- I have written a couple of paragraphs explaining the importance of good communication, acknowledging the child's conversation, eye contact, body language etc.

I have given a couple of examples of how you would encourage the conversation, empathise but not take over.etc.....

...and now I have come to a grinding halt! Any more ideas please?

Still got three more knowledge specs to complete on this unit and I am really struggling and my deadline is getting closer and closer! :reading:
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

yakidodo is on a distinguished road

You should show children that you understand them with comments such as “I bet that was good”, "bet you really enjoyed that","oh dear, how did that make you feel. You should make comments on what you think that they are feeling and this will show them that you understand them. Keeping good eye contact while they are talking to you.
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, maybe also include what empathy is and how it can involve explaining reasons and reasoning to the children, helping them to understand the feelings, actions and responses of others.

Use of key words and phrases that help example empathy - mad, sad, happy, smile, shout ..
Supporting sensitive questioning - 'he was crying' - when children bring attention to anothers situation, use confidentiality as a priority to safeguard the well being & resillience of both Children - It is good if a Child asks 'Why is he sad?', your answer may be to quietly explain that his mum has left to go home and he is missing her. The Child asking has shown curiosity and a need to know by vocallising his observation and the answer has supported this, it may also support the Child experiencing the feelings by providing them with words they can use in other communications. Both Children are able to access learning about empathy.

A positive outcome could be the action of inviting or suggesting an activity that helps him overcome his saddness or for you all to stay close and be available if needed.

Learning to name, recognise/read and respond to facial expressions of others. 'That card made nanna happy, look at her smile.' 'Was there lots of pepper on that pizza, who is going to sneeze ..

Degrees of empathy at times of unintentional accidents - muddy footprints on the carpet, knocked over glass of milk. Empathy for anger & frustration - coat buttons not doing up - buttons are too big for the hole! Socks not going on - heel needs carefully positioning .. these are responses that can help cope with the situation, overcome the implications, and re-address actions ..

Demonstating or showing your own emotions/feeling in response to actions supports an ability to empathise and also a sense of equality - 'Thank you' when someone helps clean up. 'Sorry' when you err ..

I hope this helps, searching 'Children empathy' may have more results

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

If you wanted to add an activity/reflective account I've just recieved the book Night Monkey Day Monkey written by Julia Donaldson - Affiliated amazon link - it's great and would fit really nicely with demonstating empathy, exploring and looking at how to approach it - words to use with the Children - possibly a little off track though sorry.

Night Monkey is used to seeing many things in the dark, is comfortable with them, can name and talk about them - these things initially cause concern to Day Monkey who is unfamiliar with them - Night Monkey uses a form of empathy, introduction and reassurance to show Day monkey what they are .. and then when the morning arrives the story turns to the things Night monkey is unfamiliar with but Day monkey knows well

Depending on your own group, personal or setting's feelings you could switch the word naughty for dancing or following when looking at the shadow page and for older groups look at the use of words such as silly, funny, daft, and who feels what about them.

Empathy is a word you could also use in conversation, where necessary explain to the children by saying it's a word used to show how we try to understand someone else's feeling.

xx

the cost of ad blockers
Unread 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Dingledel is on a distinguished road

Oh thank you so much. I have included links to resources for lots of my written work (brushing teeth, washing hands, skin colours....etc) this would fit in perfectly-THANK YOU!