Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Selina is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone done the unit Theories of Learning and Research

Hi All,

Has anyone done the unit Theories of Learning and Research??

I just dont get what im supposed to do at all..

'An essay drawing on their reading, discussion and own professional experiences'

If anyone has done it and understands what you have to do let me no pls,

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM

charlie36 is on a distinguished road

hi idid this in my first year of my degree and i found this assignment to be all about you as a learner and the strategies you put in place but a usefull tip is to look at all useful learning theories like kolb learning cycle and there are others if you need any help just let me know and i will do my best to do so
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply, the unit your talking about regarding writing about me as a learner i too did this in my first year!!

The unit im stuck with is about theorists, research methods and my setting lol im still completely confused it's based on how we use research to inform my setting and practise, including theorist's etc... yep it sounds abit confusing... my tutor is not the greatest at explaining exactly what she wants us to write about and the reason we are writing it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina View Post
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply, the unit your talking about regarding writing about me as a learner i too did this in my first year!!

The unit im stuck with is about theorists, research methods and my setting lol im still completely confused it's based on how we use research to inform my setting and practise, including theorist's etc... yep it sounds abit confusing... my tutor is not the greatest at explaining exactly what she wants us to write about and the reason we are writing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
I'm not 'there' in your lectures, and do not have the criteria (have a degree+ eyp etc a few years ago but things change) it may help you, if not -sorry.

It appears that you are being asked to relate (write of) your setting's practice -what impact are you making on it, what method do you use to research your ideas? your practice and what theories do these relate to? and how are you informing them ( spreading the word/knowledge).

It could be that you have a child whose play is 'textbook' Piaget - his schema theory. How would your setting go about providing that child with the opportunity to progress whilst still enjoying his particular schema? - whether that be transporting, enveloping etc

Do you think "Well he has a trolley he can just progress/move on himself with the trolley for his transporting schema" or has your or do you now research/discuss/share ideas together and outside influences i.e. your degree course/research and reading, using the internet, attending courses, involving parents, etc. Doing your degree course will hopefully give you more confidence to inform your setting of theories and theorists.

Upon researching theorists and the way children learn, not only may it give you fresh approaches and ideas, but do you find it gives you and your colleagues a greater understanding of children?

Another theorist you will have looked at is Bowlby and attachment - are you putting his theories into practice with attachment, separation anxiety and on transitions - linking this in with Bronfenbrenner's ecological model of child development.

How are you putting your reading, research and greater learning (through your degree course) into practice in your setting? Are you taking a lead in your setting? Are you encouraging and supporting practice implementing a greater understanding of theories, theorists and therefore a greater understanding of children?

You state the question is how do you use your research and theories/ists to inform your setting and practice - so they want to know how and what impact are you making in your setting ?

Remember (and I'm sure you won't forget) to keep to the criteria. Try and think of your setting's practice, what you do, why you do it and link it to theories and theorists. You can link approaches to delivering it to theories, whether you have completely changed something, adapted or disagreed with one theory (for your setting or individual child/ren) but implemented another etc.

I hope this helps, even if it's a little.
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. Thankfully i sat down the other day read the question and got it LOL... and what you have said is spot on!!! Thank you again :)
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina View Post
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. Thankfully i sat down the other day read the question and got it LOL... and what you have said is spot on!!! Thank you again :)

You're welcome. We've all 'been there', staring at a question and panicking!