Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarahcentral is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-bacterial soap do you use it?

I am in the process of the mamouth task of updating our policies and procedures, and in the PSLA new book it states that Anti-baterial hand wash liquid or soap should not be used by young children.

Was anyone else aware of this? If so do you just use a normal liquid soap?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, does the book give a reason why it shouldn't be used ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

we stopped using it several years ago due to there being a high report of allergies to them. also quite often it splashed on tot eh sink and into eyes. we use non allergic soap bars much cheaper and easier to use
Unread 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Hiya, does the book give a reason why it shouldn't be used ?

No it just states it should not be used
Unread 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

Have recently done food hygiene and the trainer was very 'anti' this type of hand wash as she said it kills off good bacteria too, she much prefers moisturising liquid soap (moisturised hands apparently prevent bacteria getting into rough crevices on hands) and hot water.
She was against soap bars as they sit around wet and can breed bacteria.
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

We use it and have had a recent ofsted inspection and she commented on our "good hygiene and germ control"

We don't use bars of soap as we were told they were unhygienic.

I have psoriasis (so have sensitive skin). The soap we use has never given me a problem or any of our children a problem.
Unread 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

I emailed the PSLA and they have confirmed under 5's should not be using it and also settings should not use anti bac sprays for cleaning the tables etc.
Very confusing when they are saying one thing and OFSTED another!!
Unread 04-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

I'm sure PSLA have specific reasons as to why they'd recommend non use to members. Ofsted would allow you to put your own decisions in place & then maybe offer guidance if something contravened regulation or their knowledge of best practice.

Have dug a little deeper and it is interesting stuff. It seems that there is a risk of using ammonia based products alongside chlorine based products which may if in contact with each other produce chloroform gas. It also seems that some antibacterial soaps may contain a chemical, triclosan - lots of information available and will tryto find out a bit more about any regulation. There is also a concern that antibac products remove/kill the weaker strains of bacteria leaving stonger ones with less natural competition, at the time that led on to questions as to the future effectiveness of antiobitic treatments.

Guidance seems to recommend use of a dishwasher and washing temperatures that would kill bacteria on equipment and utensils but only mentions 'washing up liquid / hot water for the sink - soap and water for hand washing, and that whilst anti bac soaps do kill bacteria on hands which are then disposed of during rinsing - soap in contrast creates a slippery surface that then also disposes of bacteria during rinsing... everything I've read so far suggests that sometime after washing, hands that used ordinary & antibac are as repopulated with bacteria as each other - indicating little benefit - or maybe that surfaces could be made a higher anti bacterial priority than hands or maybe products could be used on a timely basis/rota?

It's a tough one, would a statement of best practice help? making sure everyone is assured that if a switch was made from antibacterial liquid hand soap to a general use one hygiene levels & routines would remain the same and that maybe a local school or hospital could be consulted as to what they'd recommend or use themselves?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-18-2009, 04:39 PM

watgem is on a distinguished road

What should we be using for disinfecting tables and highchairs etc if we are not supposed to be using antibacterial spray? I would be very grateful for any advice as I have been told to stop using sprays as it triggers my dh asthma, so when there are no little ones around I use bleach[which is probably worse really] to wipe all surfaces and always use anti bac liquid soap and at the moment am using anti bac wipes when I'm minding to clean up but would be really interested to know if there's something more environmentally and asthma friendly that will disinfect surfaces ifyswim?
Unread 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by watgem View Post
What should we be using for disinfecting tables and highchairs etc if we are not supposed to be using antibacterial spray? I would be very grateful for any advice as I have been told to stop using sprays as it triggers my dh asthma, so when there are no little ones around I use bleach[which is probably worse really] to wipe all surfaces and always use anti bac liquid soap and at the moment am using anti bac wipes when I'm minding to clean up but would be really interested to know if there's something more environmentally and asthma friendly that will disinfect surfaces ifyswim?
dont know about other areas but we were told that bleach has been band from use in our area we are not allowed to use it even in the toilets maybe worth checking early years site.we are quite often told one thing by OFSTED and another by early years its stupid