Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Laura30_03

Default 305 k3p233

the legislation covering children's rights and laws covering equality and inclusion within your home country and how these relate to your setting...

has anyone else done this question?? have just completed 302 knowledge, moved on to this and it seems so much more difficult!!

the only legislation i can think of in regards to this is the childrens act and the UN convention on the rights of the child.

are these the only to that cover this as i am really struggling to find any other. i am guessin these then relate to my setting through our policies and procedures that we then carry out.

thanks to anyone who can help in advance! i really cant belive im doing this on a saturday night!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM
nuttynik

Hello!

how about looking at your settings admissions policy , special needs policyequal opp policy ?

If you put k3d240 in the search bit (!) I have already posted what I did for that k/e!

Okay, for k3p235 I worte bits for :

The various forms of discrimination ..
The groups most likely to experience discrimination ...
The possible effects of discrimination on the children and families are:
Disability, ethnic, cultural,race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, social economic group.

People are discriminated against because of stereotypical views held about the group they belong to or are perceived to belong to.

Types of discrimination are direct, indirect, segregation and victimisation. This can lead to missed opportunities that may affect the child's experiences and development, low self esteem, low confidence, low self worth, low self value, confused identity and fear of rejection.

This was signed off so it must have been okay!

xx
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

skelts is on a distinguished road
Help SOS

hi, i am currently doing my unit 305. I have a activity sheet on discrimination but i am stuck as to why the discrimination is taking place on the following, thanks

---------------
CYPW handbook on amazon .co.uk
Discrimination - definition wikipedia
why discrimination might happen: victim or situation percieved as an easy target, other's difference draws awareness, awareness brings conflict, understanding raises concern, used to bridge episodes of boredom, lack of empathy, no time to care, unable to find the motivation to be interested, conflict of interests.

Equality act 2012 on equalityhumanrights.com and about discrimination on adviceguide.gov.uk

where a family member is in prison - people see crime as undesirable, avoidable and those committing offences as dangerous to individual and group safety, well-being and owned property. In order to feel empowered against the hurt of crime and the danger that criminals are seen to pose, people may feel that distancing themselves and making their disaprooval of crime known is the best way to protect themselves. This disaprooval might emerge as discriminaion and be the result of fear, not knowing or not understanding the possible reasons behind why a crime was commited.

People feel threatened and vulnerable to the type of personalities that comit crime and the reasons that a person from a particular family has considered for it to be okay to comit a crime.

They might disriminate against a family who has members in prison because they know the family, thier history and the patterns of behaviour that means others have come to expect, to see, hear or be victim to repeated criminal activity.

They may use discrimination in a way that they feel informs others about the past actions of an offender's family and that inappropriately warns them of what a family and member could be capable of in the future. This type of discrimination is unlawful in that it's inciteful, scaremongering and is defamatory.

Discrimination might be happening because people are afraid of the consequences of believing in the family that has a member in prison. Internally or externally of a family - child or adult, being judged by others, ridiculed or 'I told you so' after or before an event is demoralising and tiring.

family containing a wheelchair user: disability and the families that care for a person with restricted mobility shows difference, and a diversity that can be difficult for some people to understand. They might fail to see that disability is rarely an individual's or the family's choice. They may use personal experiences, cultural opinion and views from their own upbringing to guide what they say and how they interact with a family that has a wheelchair user within it.

Discimination may result from resentment that a wheelchair user and thier family recieves financial help and professional support that provides increased mobility, independance and access to services. Words such as 'scrounger, fraudsters, benefit theif, lazy' can be used to label and discrimate against people who have genuine mobility and living needs. Where people feel an individual or their family are failing to contribute at the same level as them to 'pots or causes it can cause conflict and contention.

Discrimination can happen where humour is used by respected celebrities to highlight situations of families having a wheelchair using member. Recalling or retelling 'jokes is a 'why discriminate' that some people feel okay or can justify in ways that shows thier particular understanding of a situation.

Discrimination might also be used where people find it difficult to accept or to see the benefits of making changes to their plans or ways of doing things to ensure the inclusion, participation and meeting of needs for an individual and the dimensions of a wheelchair.

low-income family - less money means less material things and more prioritising over what the necessities are in a family's life. Where money prevents a family from taking trips or visiting places, buying new clothes, having a car, owning the latest gadgets and 'must haves' they are excluded from the general chit-chat of people's experiences with those items. This impacts on a family's social life, not being able to share common interests, plan and organise for what they might want to try out next. Discriminating against people that have a lower income is a mark that shows how wealth is valued and those with less are in some perspective seem as devalued.

family without a car - being without a car prevents a family from taking part in activities that require direct and inpromptu travelling. The lack of a car causes discrimination in that it alienates a family from those that do have access to a car. In situations that require owned transport it makes one family dependant on others which can potentially cause resentment. Some see this as a burdon they can do without.

family where the father is the main carer - historically and styreotypically men have been the gender that leaves the family home to work while women stay within the home to look after it, children and maybe extended family members. This view might stem from a 'hunter, gatherer, provider' idea where the physical strength of a man is seen as more suited to protecting his family's prospects by providing the means to survive and suceed. In contrast the role of the female is seen to focus on caring and tending to the more intimate needs of individual members eg. food, sleep, dental and medical care where there is illness or injury.

Discrimination might happen where a reversal in gender roles is seen as 'un-manly'. Or that the view that caring is less challenging or demeaning than what might be required from a workplace. Or maybe where there is suspicion or a lack of understanding as to why a male chose/allowed themselves to be placed in the position of carer.
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

lolly is on a distinguished road

Most of the legislations covering the childrens laws and equality and inclusion are followed and practiced within my setting.

The legislation you need to know for K3P233 are
the children act 1999
The children's act 2004
Equality act 2010
United Nations convention on the rights of the child 1990
Protection of children's act 1999
Sexual offences act 2003
Special educational needs and disabilities act 2001

These are just some of the legislations that should be used within a setting. They ensure that children are protected and have equal opportunities. Equality and diversity is accepted and practiced within my setting. Racism or discrimination of any form is not tolerated and attitudes or remarks of these manners are challenged regardless if it from a child or adult. My setting and I believe that the world is diverse and we are all equally regardless of our differences. Children that maybe disabled or have special educational needs are to be fully supported and adaptions made within our setting in order to have equal opportunities.

Below are some examples of how on a day to day basis in our setting we meet the provisions of the UN Conventions.

Providing a safe and warm environment
Providing equipment and resources to help children develop to their fullest potential
Participate fully with parents.
Allow children to express themselves and have their views taken into account on all matters that affect them
provide health food and clean water
participate in family, cultural and social life
Allow play, rest and enjoy leisure
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

skelts is on a distinguished road
Smile

thanks for you help