Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Susielondon is on a distinguished road
Default cyp 3.3 understand how to safeguard the well-being of children and young people

Hi,

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated!!
Brain has turned to mush!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Madiha is on a distinguished road

I didn't have to write much on this unit as we covered it through a test.

If you have a specific question, I might be able to help.
But the bits I have written, I'll paste them for you so here you are:

Summarise 2 pieces of legislation or guidance that relates to protecting and safeguarding children and young people.
Safeguarding legislation guidance says that safeguarding means that children will be protected from maltreatment and will be provided with the protection needed.

1. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989
UNCRC is an agreement of the government around the world stating what right all children should have and applies to everyone under the age of 18. All adults should always try their best to follow this legislation in order to give all the children the rights they deserve and help to safeguard them. This is important as it acts as a guide on how children should be treated. Under this act/convention all children have the right to being treated equally regardless of the fact that they might be less capable compared to some other children or that they have a different culture etc. They also have the rights to:
Confidentiality
Information that can help them
To complain or express themselves if anything has upset them
To have their say
To have privacy

2. Child Protection Act 1999
The purpose for this act is to provide for the protection of all children. Within this act, the safety, well-being and best interests of children are paramount. There are many more principles within this act such as;
A child has a right to protected from harm
A child’s family is primarily responsible for the child’s care and upbringing.
A child should have stable living arrangements.
This act applies for all children younger than 18.

Keeping Children Safe
What makes children and young people feel safe?
Love: If children receive love from adults and peers they will feel safe and welcome into different environments.
Security: If there is security around children, they will feel
Happy environment ( both at home and school etc)
Safe environment ( both at home and school etc)
Routine/Continuity: If there is a routine in place children will feel settled and will also know what they will have to do)
Stable relationships from adults ( both at home and school etc)
Confidence: Resilience- Happiness

Recognising and Responding To Abuse
Give examples of how a child or young person could be harmed by:
Another child or young person:
Bullying
Physical harm
An adult
Physical abuse
Emotional abuse
Neglect
Sexual abuse
Self-harm
Bang head
Hair pulling
Cutting
Solvent abuse
(This may be done on purpose to release frustration and anger)

What does the term “grooming” mean?
Grooming means to attain someone’ (a victim) trust or confidence to prepare him/her for sexual activity or abuse. This can be done by showing affection towards a child or young person who may be emotionally hurt and seeking attention and love. The person might also bribe the victim to prepare him/her for exploitation or sexual activities.

Explain how the risks posed by a mobile phone for a child or young person.
An adult can get hold of the number
The child can build a relationship with strangers
Can be bullied by abusive language through text messages.
They might go out and meet up with the stranger they have built a relationship with.
Explain how a child or young person could be harmed through using the internet.
They can be exposed to cyber bullying.
The child can build a relationship with strangers through chat rooms.
They might send pictures to strangers posing as friends.
How could you prevent this?
This can be prevented by checking the child’s phone once in a while. Supervise the child when using the computer/ internet. Change the privacy settings to high and block any inappropriate websites that might expose the child to danger.

Working with Other Agencies
What is the role of the Safeguarding Board? How does the work of the Safeguarding Board promote the safety of children and young people?
Offer advice if there are any concerns.
Provide information for people /settings working with parents and children- on how to keep children safe from all types of maltreatment.

At a school or nursery attended by a child or a young person in your care, who is responsible for children protection policies and advice?
In my setting the person responsible for the policy is the Head Teacher.
For child protection there is a designated Child Protection Officer.
The school governer for this school is also responsible for children protection policies and advice.
In what ways do agencies work together to protect children?
The work together to update the regulations
They pass on information:- concerns and queries of what policies and procedures should be followed if a situation arises.

There are services that work together to help children and their families such as:
Surgeries
Local Childminder
Social Services
Police
Hospitals
NSPCC
They come together if it becomes necessary to share confidential information in case of helping a child.

Whistle-Blowing (Reporting Failures in Duty)
A child in your care tells you that they were smacked by a worker on a nursery or school outing. What would you do? Consider your response to the child, who you would inform, who you might ask for advice, what you would record, etc.
I would immediately report this to the management of my setting and then to our Child Protection Officer (CPO). I will ask the child open question so he does not feel scared or nervous to speak about the incident. I will also reassure him that he is doing the right thing and that for his own health and safety someone has to be told. Any answers/statements that are given by the child will be recorded by me to pass onto the management team and also to our CPO. If there are any CCTV cameras available on the outing I would also check them.

A child in your care tells you that a bloke who works at the local arcade asked them and their friend to pose for photos to earn some extra pocket money. What would you do?
In this situation I will ask open questions so the child is able to speak about the incident openly and without any fear. I will inform the police and social services about the incident so they will be able to investigate further and check any CCTV cameras that are available. I will also inform the child’s parent about what has happened. I will ask the child for any description of the man.
What would you do if you had reported abuse or unsafe practice but no action was taken by the person you reported it to?/ What would you do if you didn’t receive a satisfactory response from another organisation or agency after reporting a child protection or child welfare concern?
If I had reported abuse and no action was taken I would take it further by reporting it to the social services and the police. I would give any recorded details of the incident so the services are aware of what has happened and what type of has taken place.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Susielondon is on a distinguished road
Default Cup 3.3

Wow, that's a huge help, thank you so much!
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Madiha is on a distinguished road

glad i could help... hope its what you need and you welcome :)
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

As an add to this the safeguarding children tool on OCR is good: Safeguarding children interactive tool
the cost of ad blockers