Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

moodie is on a distinguished road
Default equality, diversity and inclusion

I have now been given these 2 to do b4 Tuesday when I go to see my assessor.

Describe the importance of supporting childen/young people to participation and quality of access.

Describe the importance and benefits of valuing and promoting cultural diversity in work with children/young people.

I have got absolutely no idea on how to start let alone get any info, if their is someone out there who has done this I am seriously begging for help.
Thanks moodie (P.S I am not a moodie person lol)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
I have now been given these 2 to do b4 Tuesday when I go to see my assessor.

Describe the importance of supporting childen/young people to participation and quality of access.

Describe the importance and benefits of valuing and promoting cultural diversity in work with children/young people.

I have got absolutely no idea on how to start let alone get any info, if their is someone out there who has done this I am seriously begging for help.
Thanks moodie (P.S I am not a moodie person lol)

This is an old answer I gave about discrimination - what could happen if you didn't realise the importance of supporting children/yp in what you've been asked. Reading this may help you see how you could help and support them. below it, I have given you the next bit which hopefully will help you answer your questions.

Religion, cultural, beliefs, background/class etc -

is everyone tolerant of each other's religion?

does everyone share, celebrate or understand each other's culture and/or beliefs?

Are people aware of their own background/class and how may it affect their behaviour to others that appear 'different' to them?

The above can lead/cause discrimination against children and adults

if practitioners do not show respect, understanding and treat everyone as an equal what do you think may happen?
would the atmosphere create the right ethos in the setting?
How would staff react to other staff they saw not practising as they should?
What about relationships? - children and adults?
Would a child be excluded from an activity because of discrimination?
How may this may that child feel?

This should hopefully get you to start thinking of discrimination and the effect of it, but there are lots more answers.

This was an answer I gave about discrimination, but it's what could happen if you did not support children, colleagues and parents/families to learn of and understand the importance of celebrating diversity, treaing everyone equally and including everyone.

So it is very important that you have good policies and procedures from taking on staff, to teaching the children, to involving parents and acdepting them for who they are. In your resources you should have lots of choice from books, dolls, puppets, stories, songs, crafts and celebrating festival days and eating snacks from around the world. This gives positive images of diversity and equality, Children will learn to celebrate differences of other children and their families.

If you didn't do anything in your setting and your setting was in an area or environment where children only saw others just like them, this could lead to some families (and therefore their children) not accepting differences and possibly discriminating against them.

So you need to describe the importance of supporting children/yp to value other people's beliefs and diversity - what you do (see above) because if children/yp are not taught about others in a positive light - how may they treat them? reading group stories helps children begin to understand about others - you may read about Easter, Diwali, Eid, Chinese New Year or Indepence Day and incorporate it into your art and crafts. Looking at farming across the world where the western world uses gallons of water and tractors with 'arm sprays', then comparing it to poorer farmers in South America or Africa where every drop of water really counts. This all helps children/yp learn of diversity, equality and inclusion.

The benefits - sharing and celebrating everything from each others cultures - festivals, food, different songs and dances etc
Everyone treats each other respect and values them for whom they are and what they offer in their own unique way.

I hope this helps you to get started.
Unread 05-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Topaze is on a distinguished road

I think that this link may help as well :
http://www.nice.org.uk/niceMedia/doc...ation_nhss.pdf