Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

midge99 is on a distinguished road
Default HSC 3045 - least restrictive principle?

================================================== ===============
Help and guidance for HSC 3045 - Unit CYP 3.2 - CYPOP 41 behaviour

and discussion thread: http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15333
================================================== ===============

If anybody has done this unit i would be grateful for any help. I am really struggling with my last 4 option units and need to hand it all in on Monday 25th July.

Thanks Sheila

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM

elsa is on a distinguished road
Default CYPW unit known as: CU1571 - HSC 3045 - Unit 115 - CYPOP 41 - promote positive behaviour - restrictive intervention

So far I have found these web pages useful for 1.1 and 1.6

http://www.thedustonschool.northants...ils%202010.pdf

http://www.teamteach-tutors.co.uk/gu...728,16,Parents & PHP’s

http://www.teamteach-tutors.co.uk/gu.../DFEE_1O98.pdf

Only just really started it today though. Hope this gives you something to start on

Elsa
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Promotive positive Behaviour

Thanks Elsa those were useful.
Sheila
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Hi
How are you getting on with this, I have done most apart from 1.5 Explain why the least restrictive interventions should always be used when dealing with incidents of challenging behaviour, which I am struggling with
Elsa
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Hsc 3045 1.5

Hi,

This is what i've put, hope it helps. Have you got any tips for 2.6, 5.5, 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3 I'd be grateful for any pointers cos i've got to get it in for Monday!!!!!

The least restrictive principle, interventions should always be used when dealing with challenging behaviour to try and promote positive behaviour and inclusion.

At my setting whenever any challenging behaviour occurs we act as appropriate to the incident.

An example is if a child hits, smacks or bites another child then they are removed from the activity immediately. One member of staff will check the child who has been injured and apply first aid as necessary. Another member of staff will remove the child who has acted inappropriately, speak to them about the incident, explaining our golden rules again, the child is then directed to a different activity. If the behaviour occurred again in a short space of time the child will be reminded again of the rules and directed to another activity. If there was a third incident then detailed observations would be carried out to see if there is any pattern or common trigger. The child’s parents would also be approached to see if they could share any information from home.

Below are some of the challenging behaviours we may see and what interventions to use to try and sort out the problem and stop it escalating into a situation where physical interventions may be needed.

Repetitive/Obsessive

• Give responsibilities to the child for them to engage in (this helps build up self-esteem)
• Side step any confrontations
• Agree a response plan if any confrontations develop
• Give choices to the child

Withdrawn

• Ensure the child is included in all activities
• Encourage the child to try new situations with support from an adult
• Develop a circle of friends

Aggressive

• Try to calm the child by talking with them, explaining it is not nice to be aggressive
• Remove from situation using distraction techniques
• Provide support

Self-injurious

• Remove the child from the situation
• Provide support

Disruptive

• Remove the child from the situation by encouraging them to choose another activity
• Reward positive behaviour

Anti-social or illegal

• Give the child support

Verbally abusive

• Explain that verbal abuse is not acceptable
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Hi

for 1.5 I have put

• will prevent the child or young person from getting hurt
• will help to promote positive behaviour
• a child’s human dignity should be respected
• will help to avoid the situation escalating and prevent further aggressive behaviour
• can help to prevent a break down of relationship
• restrictive interventions may be inappropriate for some children, for example those who have been sexually abused
• has a higher risk of negative side effects, such as becoming more aggressive or disruptive
• its potential to provoke more anger, opposition and hostility
• often takes two members of staff for restrictive interventions, which may cause staffing shortages

Hope this helps
Elsa
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

dippydonna16 is on a distinguished road

this is what i put.. it could be wrong cz ive been just going through to units as questions and doing my best, and it hasnt been marked yet..

'The key to the effective use of proactive and reactive strategies is a good understanding the children’s individual behaviour patterns and any possible triggers to their behaviour, this is important so you can establish proactive strategies that will prevent these triggers or patterns of behaviour occurring. However if their challenging behaviour does get triggered understanding the child as an individual will mean you will be ale to spot early signs of behavioural agitation so you can then react to these and defuse the situation before it can turn into an incident of challenging behaviour. If this does not happen and an incident occurs it will also be useful to understand the child as this could help in defusing the situation.'
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:34 AM

carlieloz is on a distinguished road

So just to be clear.....does least restrictive principle mean restraining children??
I work in the community in family homes wondering how I would realte
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, no it means taking the least restrictive measure possible so that it helps resolve a situation and ensures everyone still remains safe. The act of restraining a child is the most extreme form of restraint and would not be the least restrictive. It would be the strategy to use if all others have failed and if your setting has policies, procedures and recording practices in place so that staff know what they are doing, why and when restraint might be used. It will also state what is to happen after an incident.

As situations vary considerably eg. age of child, young person, adult, the behaviour being shown. any known and unknown reasons for the behaviour the measure that would be implemented will differ.

If you have the cache level 3 handbook on amazon pages 110 & 111 are helpful. It refers to this as an approach, one that takes the ethos of a setting/home into consideration and then manages times of challenging behaviour in a 'scaling type response. eg. how everyone is a continual role model for their & others behaviour, remaining calm & discussing emotions & responses as part of each days activities, using negotiation, distraction, boundary setting, providing choice, looking for triggers & reasons for behaviour eg. a transition, want or need, helping children to reflect on behaviour and any consequences that occured.

HSC 3045 unit and CYP3.2 also examines supporting positive behaviour

Would your role involve any of these?
Supporting parents to understand a least restictive principle - how they can identify triggers in children's behaviour & manage it with the least amount of conflict whilst still ensuring the safety of each child and themselves.
If you find your visit ever heightens excitement & causes unexpected arguments between children. This principle would ask how you'd manage the rush for your atttention/the disruption that a visit brings and then what you would do in reaction to any aggressive, challenging behaviour.
Explaining to your family/parents how a setting that their child attends manages expectations for behaviour.
You may also find you need or are asked by a parent to help resolve challenging behaviour.

This article on communitycare examines the least restictive priciple/option within the mental capacity act - least restrictive principle means

If possible can you access any policies that details behaviour & the procedures you're legally covered to take in response to challenging behaviour?

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM

carlieloz is on a distinguished road

Wow that's amazing thank you so much!!! I totally get it now I'll be off to a good start on this now!! Thank you thank you thank you xx