Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Online resource links to support the level 3 Children and Young People's Workforce
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's revised early years foundation stage framework - 2014 Please visit and shop with amazon.co.uk to find suppliers for all creative and care needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Colour rice in a rainbow selection and print resources for sorting & matching

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

tinajpatterson is on a distinguished road
Default 097 posi positive practice with children with speech, language and communication need

explain how to recognise and build on the strengths of a child by giving different examples of positive strategies

like adapting adult language, adapting the environment, modelling and expanding their langauge, providing time and supported opportunies to commincate , developing self esteem .

i feel like i am mjissing some ideas please help.

compare the differences between strategies based on children strengths and abilities , and those based around children' difficulties

help please.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

saranne772 is on a distinguished road

What did you come up with? I am now struggling with this also and I can't find any guidance. I also can't get hold of my tutor and I have to have this finished by Wednesday. Panicking slightly!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

here is a rough idea

Explain how to recognise and build on the strengths of a child or young person by giving different examples of positive strategies
Observation of children allow us to get to know the child and what their strengths and interests are so we can build a picture of that child and We can then plan and evaluate to find the strategy which will work best for that child.
Circle time allows us to build a Childs listening and attention skills and allows a set time period were children can communicate this strategy is done to provide time and supported communication. This allows for a child to talk about their interests and by asking open ended question we can try to encourage communication by placing a child with speech, language and communication needs at the end so the child can listen and know what is expected of them when it’s their turn.
Modelling and expanding a child’s language when working in the setting this is done every day when talking to a child we will use language which the child can understand so adapting adult language so it is understandable for a child. When painting we ask the child questions about the painting then we wait for the child to model an answer giving them plenty of time first to think of any answer. If the child doesn’t respond then give a clear example. Repeating what a child has said” I got a bike and a doll for my birthday” I would say “You had a bike and a doll for your birthday that great”. Emphasising words when a child say “I got doggies” I would say “you’ve got dogs at home”.
Expanding a child’s language can be done be starting with simple words like ball talking about an object then expanding it like blue ball, bouncing ball always making sure that carers are consistent in using the same vocabulary. Reinforce new vocabulary by playing games with the child like naming objects repeating this as often as possible. Each time a child has reached that target then added another expansion to their vocabulary like is that a blue ball. Then start introducing topic animals, toys and vehicles.
Adapting the environment to help children with speech and language needs can be done by using visual signs that children can understand like labelling areas like home corner, quiet area. This signs can also inform a child of activities and equipment for those activities signs can even be used to show how to make play dough. Sign language can be used to help children to give them a choice do you want to do singing, activities and stories sign can help with vocabulary or instructions. Using routine and structure giving defined times to the nursery day may be using time lines as well times like tidy up, circle time , snack time, dinner time this will provide security. Having visual displays of topics or current activities to reinforces information.
Positive communication
By using positive communications methods we can build a child’s interaction skill, self esteem and confidence. Always have eye contact with the child and allowing them to finish what they are saying, a child should never be labelled, helping a child to learn to talk positively, try to always say something positive even if they have made a mistake. A child should be given lots of praise to help boost their self esteem making them more confident and willing to try. This is used every day in the setting like well done what a beautiful picture that is a fantastic aeroplane you have made, did you build that all by yourself that’s brilliant. Children are always encouraged to participate like in circle time if a shy child takes part they are given lots of praise and a sticker just to boost their confidence.
Memory games for very young children only use 3 picture cards and ask what is on each card, mix up theses cards and ask the child to find the card with a car on it. This can be adapted for older children you can use more cards like up to 5 picture or word cards have the child close their eyes and move the cards around when the child opens their eyes they have to put the cards back in the right order as well as saying what is on the card. This helps with attention and concentration as well.

Compare the differences between strategies based on children and young people’s strength and abilities and those based around children’s difficulties.
Strategies based on children’s strengths and abilities are chosen by what has been observed this then can be used to base activities on what the child is interested in, these can also be based around the child’s age and stage so they are appropriate to that child. Blast is a strategy developed to work on the child’s difficulties this is aimed to promote listening, sound and speech sound awareness in order to rapidly develop speech and language skills blast in done over a 6 week period using the same children leading to repetition doing the same songs and stories over the 6 weeks. Doing this allows confidence to build as the child get to know the activities. Were as a strategy built for a child on strengths and abilities can change it can be stories 1 activity and arts and craft the next activity. Both types of activities work on repetition and expansion.

hope it helps T
Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you so much that is very helpful!! I am well on my way now, I was a bit unsure as to what line to take when writing you see. And I desperately need to get it all done, Im being signed off on Wednesday, job finishing friday, moving house saturday, starting new job at new nursery monday!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 PM

good luck to you i am still a little way off from finishing

T
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM

Thank you :) And same back again. Ill be so relieved to get it out the way!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kerry-lou is on a distinguished road

i know this is an old thread but i want to thank u so much to tinajpatterson, you have helped me out a lot! i was completely confused on what i needed to write but i know now! thanks xx

also if anyone has any information or websites i could use for this unit i would be very grateful!