Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 11-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Raz is on a distinguished road
Help SOS EYMP4 outcome 2.1 and 2.2

Hi everyone!

I'm really stuck on these outcomes because.... although, I do understand this in context of what is in my textbook; (an explanation about 'Current policies, frameworks and influences' with regard to political responses to social and economic developments) ...... .. my assessed task for
outcome 2.1 and 2.2 is;

"Refer and add to your theorist chart from unit CT230 (Understand child and young person development) to identify current policies, frameworks and influences on the early years and how their impact (2.1,2.2)"

That was a chart which basically explains how theorist's work links to the EYFS and current work practice. It's an online course and I've checked with my assessor that this is the right question for these outcomes, as even the textbook doesn't mention theorists or development theories at all in this unit.

Does anyone else have this same question for outcomes 2.1 and 2.2. I'm still very confused about how I'm going to make the links between policies to theorists. My assessor has said to add the links to the chart column where I've already completed links to EYFS.

Any ideasat all would be very welcome. xx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-23-2013, 03:37 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

how can you write about cauldrons development without doing theorists!!! it is certainly in my unit on it. theorists are just one part of this question you then need to explain policies and frameworks. and you shoo shave done policies throughout and theories certainly in cyp1.1
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Default Linking political policies and legislation to theorists

No, I've done the theorists in three other bits of work. The policies they mean are not our policies but political policies & research, (at least that's what was in the learning). Also frameworks and CAF. But I have to link those policies to theorists. I've already linked the EYFS to theorists in other units. The policies are supposed to be current such as UNHRC, Children's Act, The Tickell review, Equality Act, Children Act, Data protection Act, the policies to reduce child poverty.

Linking the EYFS was easier but has anyone had to link these other policies to theorists? I'm finding it hard and feel like I'm guessing a bit.

Thanks
Unread 01-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Flying fish is on a distinguished road

Hi Raz, did you get anywhere with this one??? I'm on it too and the question doesn't even make sense "and how their impact" (think it should be "and their impact"). Are you doing course through Pacey? I think I'll e-mail them as this won't be the first task where they've uploaded the wrong assessed task page (they corrected it after I contacted them). In the meantime I've copied and pasted the course work I did ' policies, frameworks and influences' then added my theorist's table as an attachment!
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:31 PM

Hi I think what you've done should be fine because the information required for this did not fit in with the table described. I am sure that other colleges asked for the work in a different format. I fit it in because this college wanted it there but it was like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

I've tracked down what I did but it's too complicated to paraphrase so here's what I added to the EYFS column. I was asked to do two not all.

PIAGET - Piaget influences on early years approach
Usually encourage a focus on ‘child led’ activities and for children to not learn by simply watching and listening but to ‘have a go’ at various activities so they can learn by their experiences-i.e what went well and what did not go so well.
Require children’s needs and development to be planned with regard to the individual children.
Have ‘age related stages’ with regard to curriculums.
Children are encouraged to become independent.
Current approaches provide training on ‘schema related’ approaches to help practitioners to support and extend schemas. Some of the various schemas include; ‘enveloping’, ‘connecting’ & ‘transporting’.
Piaget’s Constructivist theories about how children make sense of and learn from their environment have been developed to explain children’s thinking and how we can support ‘Schema’s’. Two college researchers; Chris Athey and Tina Bruce have published papers on this. (information from The Cache level 3 Extended Diploma book for Children & Young People’s Workforce).
Research
EPPSE (Effective Preschool Primary & Secondary Education), A study of intellectual, social/behavioural development from 3-7 with consideration given to children’s earlier preschool experience. The study established that that children benefitted from attendance and an early start to preschool, however, it made little difference if they attended full or part time. The study found that ‘disadvantaged’ children particularly benefitted especially if they attended good quality settings).

Policy-Early Learning for 2 Year olds
Families who fulfil certain criteria are eligible for two year old funded places. The aim is to help them to achieve their learning and development potential.
This policy was formed following research that two year olds from low income and sometimes termed ‘deprived’ backgrounds are less likely to achieve good outcomes later on in school.

I then added in the last column some stuff about how it applies in practice. I used a different colour font so the assessor could see what was added.

VGOTSKY - Influences on Current Practice
A socially stimulating environment is very important to learning
There is a lot of emphasis on Social Development as cognitive development alone will not ensure ‘rounded development’.
Adults work alongside the child to support their learning, but not to ‘direct’ the child.
Children are encouraged to be active learners who learn by investigation, experience and repetition of skills.
Learning should be sufficiently challenging to extend learning.

Vygotsky devised a ‘zone of proximal development’ to indicate the point “where an adult needs to interact with a child when they see the potential for them to extend their learning.” The Cache level 3 Extended Diploma book for Children & Young People’s Workforce).

Lev Vygotsky’s theories influenced present day practice where adults actively support children’s learning in social situations. It is recognised that, “Relationships with adults have to be positive and supportive in order to encourage children to be problem solvers and thinkers and to develop their language. “(The Cache level 3 Extended Diploma book for Children & Young People’s Workforce).
Research
FOUNDATIONS FOR
QUALITY

The independent review of early education and childcare qualifications by Cathy Nutbrown
A report focussing on improving quality of childcare with much emphasis on improving quality of training.
The Government’s response to the proposals in this report were included in ‘More Great Childcare’ which Professor Nutbrown claimed ‘watered down’ her proposals and attempted to use her proposal to increase the number of staff qualified to level 3 and above to increase child to adult ratios. Professor Nutbrown said this would decrease the quality of experience and care for young children.

Policy-United Nations Conventions on the Rights of a Child

one of these rights is that a child must be given opportunites to:
• “develop their personalities, abilities and talents to the fullest potential”

This is something which Early Years adults should do and is in keeping with both Vgotsky’s theories and the EYFS, (see above)
Policy-Equality Act 2010
I found this a tricky one to link since most of the theorists lived in a age where people were subconsciously prejudiced and prone to gender stereotyping. However, I have put it here, since I originally linked Vgotsky’s theories to EYFS Learning & Development
“1.7 Practitioners must consider the individual needs, interests, and stage of
development of each child”,

Again in the last column I added how this applies in practice.

Anyone reading this, please DON'T copy and paste as you will be in trouble if found on the net and remember even if the assessor passes the work it can be moderated later. If it's relevant to your college instructions then write from your own understanding and leave out anything you don't understand or agree with.

Good Luck with your course!